2001 Ford Ranger 4x2, V6 3.0L Strange sounds

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Rangerman27, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Rangerman27

Rangerman27 New Member

The issue: I heare a strange sound which is very similar to the sound of cow bell when slowing down from a higher rate of speed:50-60 mph. I hear the cow bell sound when the vehicle speed is reduced to about under 25 mph. Can someone please help me?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

May be an exhaust hangar that came loose. Crawl under the truck and look for anything loose, exhaust, heat shields etc

4. OP
    Rangerman27

Rangerman27 New Member

It is not the exhaust hanger or the exhaust because I replaced the muffuler yesterday. also, my stabilizer bushings were replaced today. The cow bell sound seems to be somewhere near the engine.

5. chk the idler pulley maybe worn out bearings in the idler

6. OP
    Rangerman27

Rangerman27 New Member

This is the sound that I hear when I'm breaking around 25 mph or less. I do not hear the knocking noise when the ranger is parked and running, the ranger runs very quiet.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRd-FmokX_E&ytsession=hI2JKRsfBmvmPMx7FHiIMKSYs0BdOP3vvFb1dDtzQLXNPJZeEZzpRfFANzufYLKa9pUZxewx3MxkxWPaKPPnmxenOrr2GJh58XphEd30WVRwDt-brUOZN2_3y8qWClvI7UyO2Ijc6ASDbB5MfFr_2zXMIyD0mHkioF0pWjY9S7PgL0agiHwfvowdHdzKNbDnWoXaFoxsGvRDjYi_Ym_7gk9VKBMDV0zA63fsdVFgaGC-_RedqS1wfEeRtNrqFg-EObxTKU7ory6utebc7iPt7Gy6Ft-9BQ0qgv2gg1-Tt6Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRd-FmokX_E&ytsession=hI2JKRsfBmvmPMx7FHiIMKSYs0BdOP3vvFb1dDtzQLXNPJZeEZzpRfFANzufYLKa9pUZxewx3MxkxWPaKPPnmxenOrr2GJh58XphEd30WVRwDt-brUOZN2_3y8qWClvI7UyO2Ijc6ASDbB5MfFr_2zXMIyD0mHkioF0pWjY9S7PgL0agiHwfvowdHdzKNbDnWoXaFoxsGvRDjYi_Ym_7gk9VKBMDV0zA63fsdVFgaGC-_RedqS1wfEeRtNrqFg-EObxTKU7ory6utebc7iPt7Gy6Ft-9BQ0qgv2gg1-Tt6Y[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

wow thats weird

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I think it may be the water pump

9. Are you sure it's coming from near the engine? Because my rear drum brakes kept coming apart and the bar that attaches the ebrake cable to push the shoe against the drum was making the same noise. Try checking the rear brakes tomorrow or when you get a chance.

10. sounds like a bad lower end, rod knock sorry

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I kinda thought that too, would the rod make the anifreeze bubble like that?

12. never seen a rod cause antifreeze to dance... maybe bad headgasket too along with rod knock, that could cause the dance in the resevoir tank

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah I thought maybe a knock that hard is making the antifreeze jump but I'm not too familiar with it.

14. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

You need to take that to a professional and have a second opinion. Thats not a good sound at all. How many miles are on it, and do you regularly check your oil?