1991 Ford Ranger A/C issues

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by jkufen, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jkufen

jkufen New Member

I am trying to get the a/c in my old ranger going and I have hit a few snags. First the ac compressor locked up and melted the connector that connects to it on top. So instead of fixing the guy just rerouted the serpentine belt and left the compressor out. So I know I have to get a new compressor and the connector that plugs into it. Where my biggest issue is deals with the fan switch and the blower motor. When I turn the fan switch on the blower motor doesn't come on. So first thing I thought was bad motor. I jumped the motor from the battery and the motor came on so motor is good. The next thing I thought was maybe the fan switch on the ac panel is bad. So I pulled it off and using my ohm meter I checked the switch and everything seemed to work ok. My next thought was maybe I have a blown fuse from when the compressor locked up and cooked the connector. Well I checked all the fuses I could find and everything seemed ok. I then took my ohm meter and put the positive through the blower motor plug and the negative on the ground at the fan switch and I got a good reading. So unless I am mistaken that means that the connection between the blower motor and the fan switch is good. Then I checked the resistor that is right by the blower motor. I also had a good reading from my ohm meter. I know there is a low pressure switch that keeps the compressor from coming on when there is no freon but the blower motor should always blow. Any ideas?? These 100 degree days are killing me! I have to figure out why there is no power to the blower motor connector, even though everything looks good.