05 Ranger Edge 3.0L - Rough Idle

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by mxthorjc, Dec 19, 2011.

1. mxthorjc

mxthorjc New Member

Been having a rough idle on my truck for a little while now & can't figure out what is causing it. At higher RPM's & driving it's fine, but when I just sit there it just idles rough.

Replaced: spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, IAC
    Cleaned: MAF sensor, throttle body

Read online that it could maybe be the EGR valve. Where is the EGR located, if it even has one?

Anyone have any insight as to what the problem might be? Thanks

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

If it were the EGR, you would be throwing a check engine code. You may want to try replacing the IAC itself. I had the same issue, cleaned the IAC and it was shot. I bought a new one and idle was fine

Welcome by the way!

4. OP
    mxthorjc

mxthorjc New Member

It has a new IAC already and still the same problem, thanks

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Ok, how is the coil pack?

6. OP
    mxthorjc

mxthorjc New Member

Haven't checked that yet.. should I?

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yes you should...wouldnt hurt

8. OP
    mxthorjc

mxthorjc New Member

Any other ideas, besides the coil pack?

9. Could be an intake or vacuum leak, but you would normally throw a code for that too...

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Check the air filter as well if you havent already

11. OP
    mxthorjc

mxthorjc New Member

Yeah hasn't thrown a code at Advance, might go to Oreilly's because I hear they have a more advanced machine. I've read that alot of 3.0 rangers have the same problem..

12. Hooligan and I both have the 4.0, so it's a bit different. I have a pretty good miss now because of a few things wrong.... When you drive, does it make a really loud whooshing noise? Or is it quiet?

13. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

3.0's are bad bout blowing the egr vac lines.. the lines are on the right side manifold and go up to a small gray box on the front of the air mainifold.. i would check that as well

14. beaulawcious

beaulawcious New Member

listen for a vacum leak. see if you here a high pitched sucking sound, and if you do, spray carb cleaner on it (only when engine is cold, if its hot it could start fire) once you identify where the leak is coming from, replace that part, usually a cracked rubber tube. ive got a 4.0 it idled really rough and sometimes died, but went away once i got in higher rpms.