Yes or No To A Cab Visor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pbav8tor, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

So there is a moon visor that I can get. What do you guys think?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

If it is the newer Lund model then I highly recommend it. If it is the older style, then I have to say no due to holes drilled through the roof.

4. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

The newer ones you don't have to drill?

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

The newer ones have self tapping screws that mount inside the door jamb. The screws come with silicone on them and are alot smaller than the old versions. The mounts on the new ones get covered by the door seals as well. It is a very nice product, too bad they stopped making them

6. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

Interesting, have any pics?

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I dont think I took any while I put mine on. do you have the pics of the one you can get?

8. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

9. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

Another
    [​IMG]

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I personally would not use that kind. You see where the bolts go, They are about 3/4 long and have threading like a lag bolt. Even siliconed well, they eventually leak due to their location, right and the base of those grooves where water settles. If you put it on, then remove it, you will be looking at body work to make it return to its normal metal, paint etc.

11. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

I personally don't think it'll flow with your truck. And I agree with Clinton a out the mounting techniques with those ones.

12. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

Guess I will keep looking for a newer one. Thanks man.

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

This is the best pic of mine. It is the first red piece as you look up from the bottom of the pic. You can see the differences between this and the older ones
    [​IMG]

14. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I had one of the older ones on my ’88 without leakage.
    The trick is the sealant, use windshield adhesive.
    I know when you want to remove it it will be a b!tch but most people but them on to stay.

Remember the Windshield sealant needs to be warm when applying...

I think they older style looks good on the newer trucks, I have a 12125 Lund without lights older style visor I am reworking now for the newer style LED Lights and I think it will look good on my ’03 Std Cab.(IMHO)

There a lot of pictures on the other Ranger Sites of the older style visor on Ranger with Ext and Std Cabs so search around and find them you will see and IMHO… it will look good and with the correct sealer it will not leak.

One picture in this thread: http://www.ranger-forums.com/genera...5/another-pic-request-guys-lund-visors-35004/

Here is another: http://www.ranger-forums.com/project-logs-82/vonhansons-project-thread-109671/page6/

Search around and you will see a lot for the older visors being used.
    PM the author and see what they say about them.

I am not saying don’t do the newer style, I just an not a fan of them.

15. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I'd vote no Paul. Maybe if you were lifted, it would look right. But not now with it's current height. The Sun Visor/Moon Visor line of Lund visors just don't look good to me on a 98+ truck. On a gen3 it looks alright. But 98+, especially '01+, Solar Visor/Lunar Visor is right at home.

And since I like pics....and who doesn't? Here's that visor you posted on a Gen4/5...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On second thought, it might not look too bad if you got rid of the stripes, the other stripes, and the dragon (lol!)...
    [​IMG]

The Solar Visor/Lunar Visor has a central mounting point dead center of the roof. The bracket mounts to the roof via two screws and in the center of the bracket is a stud which the visor bolts to. Yes it does have gutter cab screws (3 per side). When I first installed mine back in '08, I only ran the gutter screws and did the 3M tape or whatever was on it from the factory on the roof mount to bypass the drilling roof scenario. Six or so months later, the visor was flopping up and down quite heavily and making noise in the wind at higher freeway speeds. Needless to say, drill drill drill is what I did...except I used nutserts in the roof panel so should the need arise to remove the visor, I can thread in and silicone a button head machine screw.

16. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

WOAH! No hole in the middle!?!?!????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wasn't yelling... Just surprised! lol. Mine was direct brand new from Lund in '08.

17. OP
    Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

It was just a passing thought. Thanks for your input.

18. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

They must have known it was you and figured you would put that hole to use!

19. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

If there's an open hole within my reach that's open, you best believe I fill it. Even not open.... Never again though. Learned my lesson.

Okay but seriously, I find it odd we've got the same base visor and yours is lacking the center hood mount. I worry about flutter. Mine was a very audible sound and it fluctuated probably 3" before I finally really secured the roof mount.

20. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

No flutter on my end, it has a sticky pad with cement applied, all came with it. I guess they couldnt make up their mind so thats why they stopped making them lol

21. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

to me i think that on smaller trucks thay aint to hot but some times they work