Wont go into any gear

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by bloodhound03, Jul 10, 2009.

1. bloodhound03

bloodhound03 New Member

1993 2wd 4.0 I just finished putting in a new slave/throwout bearing. I was putting it all back together and found that the truck will not go into any gear. It seems as if the stick is stuck in the neutral position. When I start the truck, it is stuck in reverse. I jacked it up and put the clutch in and the tires stop moving so I think that the clutch is working. The only thing I did that may be suspect is that I turned the driveshaft to line up the 4 bolt holes without the stick shifter in the transmission. Would this have caused something to get out of alignment? Any other suggestions? Wes

Also, is there any sensor that controls the shifter going into gear that I may have not hooked up or screwed up? I thought I marked every wire that I took off. There was one wire near the top of the bell housing but when I went to the boneyard, that wire looked as if it was not used, it have a plastic plug in it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bill

Bill New Member

Not that familiar with work completed, if the shift tower was disconnected for the work performed suggest looking at it again, sounds like you missed its engagement.

4. OP
    bloodhound03

bloodhound03 New Member

Problem fixed

I took the top of the tranny off and set everthing back to the neutral position. Put it back together and it works real nice. I think it jumped out of alignment somehow when I was trying to force it into gear before I fixed it.

5. porkchop

porkchop New Member

96 2.3l xlt

Hey folks. Just got a Ranger, its the first one I've ever had. Was left to me by a family member who passed away. It drove just fine on the way up here, but now it wont go into any gear and it makes a horrible grindin noise when I try to put it in reverse. I've bled the clutch and nothin has changed. Any ideas??? BTW it's a 96 2.3 XLT manual.