Wiper Motor and Blower Motor

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Point10drummer, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Point10drummer

Point10drummer New Member

I have a problem I have not been able to figure out. My windshield wipers and my heater blower motor only work on the "high" position. I've changed the wiper motor and it has not helped. Are these things connected through a fuse or something or is it just coincidence that both motors are only working on "high"? This is a 1992 Ford Ranger

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Point10drummer

By the way - this is a 1992 Ford Ranger

4. 90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

It could be the wiper switch is bad, and the blower motor has a bad resistor. The resistor gives you the slower speeds. When you place the switch on high, the resistor is bypassed and it runs full bore. The wiper motor has a resistor too. But if you replaced it, it looks like it may be a bad wiper switch.

5. OP
    Point10drummer

Wiper/Blower

Thanks Red Ranger - I replaced the wiper switch but still have the same issue...Any ideas?:thumbsup:

6. 90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

Wiring

Ok, I am going to look at my wiring schematic to see if and how these two might be connected. I don't think there is a link with the two circuits. It could be a cut wire or even a bad connection. :)

7. 94mtx

94mtx 2wd 4" lifted

I had the same problem with my 94. The blower would only work on high. I did some research and found that the blower motor resistor was bad. Actually it was melted. I replaced the blower motor resistor (rockauto.com) and the wire harness (rockauto.com). I paid a little under $30 with shipping for both parts. It worked. Now I have all 5 speeds for the blower motor.

I recommend rockauto.com to anyone for oem factory replacement parts. They are cheaper than the local parts stores even with shipping.

8. 90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

Wiring

I found out with my book that the wiper circuit and blower circuit don't work together. They are on separate fuses. The blower motor probably just needs a resistor. The wiper motor has a (internal governor) that is part of the motor assembly. If you replaced the motor and wiper switch and it still does the same thing, it's probably a broken wire or bad connection. Connectors get dirty so you need to check all of the wires related to the wiper circuit.:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thread moved to the new electric tech section