Which Plugs?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Fcarnut, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Fcarnut

Fcarnut New Member

Here I go again. :euro: I'm about ready to change the original plugs in my '04 Ranger with 4.0 V-6. At 50,000 miles the center electrode seems to be worn fairly well. Is there a better replacement than the Motorcraft? This is being driven both around town and highway. It isn't giving me any problems other than the idle isn't as smooth as I think it should and I'm blaming it on the wider gap on the original plugs? Your findings?:shifty:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jelly's Ford

Jelly's Ford Riding High in the Saddle

MSD! Haha, but autolite makes great plugs. We put those in all our muscle cars except the one that has MSD distributor, etc. But I have found that motorcraft do just fine for me. I changed my plugs almost 50,000 miles back now. So I'll be in for a change soon when the old Ranger hits a 100,000.

4. OP
    Fcarnut

Fcarnut New Member

Thanks for your input! I went with the Autolite AP5143's. Ideling is a little better :) but I may need to change plug wires also?

5. Jelly's Ford

Jelly's Ford Riding High in the Saddle

Hmm that's a good question. When I replaced mine a while back I did not change the wires. Of course I wasn't having the same issues you were experiencing. Wires can get expensive sometimes. Did those autolites recommend a set of cables to go with them? It's your choice to replace or not. My truck with almost 100,000 will need plugs and prob cables because I have never changed them before as a precautionary measure.

6. OP
    Fcarnut

Fcarnut New Member

The wires, besides being a bugger to get to were also almost part of the plug. :furious: Even using plug wire removal pliers they were tuff and it's not that difficult to probably brake a wire? Because of the heat generated under the hood and the trouble removing them it would probably be best to replace the wires and not worry about them for another 50,000 miles.:thumbsup: