Where to go from here.

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by Crow T. Robot, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Crow T. Robot

Crow T. Robot New Member

Here's the story so far.

86 Ranger 2.9 5 spd, hasn't ran in a few years. Take a fresh battery and 2 jerry cans full of premium out and after an hour of trying to fire, nothing. She coughed a couple of times but just couldn't get it going. Went out the next night, took a handful of fuses and a can of ether. Again, barked a couple of times and all the fuses were fine, but still squat. I can hear and feel the high pressure pump along the frame kick in, but nothing from the tanks (dual tank). Not registering ANY fuel in either tank even though they are both nearly full.

Now, here's the whoops, the first night out there I accidentaly hooked the battery up backwards for a few seconds. Could I have fried a fuseable link or something? And if so, how many are there under the hood?
    Where's a good place to start checking? I was thinking the fuel pump relay, but if it was bad I don't think the in-line pump would kick in. I'm sure the filter needs changed but where it's sitting, it's a little tough right now.

So, when she's here in the shop, where should I start?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Check the battery to make sure you didnt reverse its polarity

4. OP
    Crow T. Robot

Crow T. Robot New Member

That's exactly what I did, yet everything still seems to work. Well, except for firing up I guess!

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Sometimes if a battery polarity is reversed, it wont allow the truck to fire. My brother did that once, by hooking it up backwards it reversed the batterys polarity which it wouldnt allow to start the truck once it was put back to the proper connections

6. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

There's two different fuel pumps in your truck. If the primary pumps (in the tank) are bad, you wont be getting any fuel whatsoever. I would also check the CPS. Sounds like the engine thinks the timing's off. If that's the case it wouldnt start either, just cough and die.

7. OP
    Crow T. Robot

Crow T. Robot New Member

Little to cold to work on it now, but think I've tracked the problem down to the fuel pump relay or the fuseable link between it and the solenoid. When the battery was hooked up wrong for the 2 seconds it was, I might have fried the link. I found it way too weird that both in tank pumps failed at the exact same time, but it turns out that there is a bit of seperate wiring for the high pressure pump which would explain why it works and the others don't.

So when this deep freeze is over, I'll try the new link and relay that are sitting in my desk and hope for the best.