Wheel question from new Ranger owner

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by BullFrog, Dec 10, 2013.

1. BullFrog

BullFrog New Member

Hello Rangerforumers, I am a new Ranger owner (1999 XLT 4x4 Flareside). The tires on it are some crappy off-brand, size LT225/75R16, which I've been informed are smaller than stock, and it throws off my speedo. Anyway, I want to get winter tires on separate rims, and I want to know what size rims I can use. I think stock is 16x8, but I can get 15x7 or 15x8 quite a bit cheaper (on Amazon at least). I just want ugly, cheap steel rims; can I use smaller rims safely, or do you have any suggestions for places to get cheaper rims? Thanks a lot!\\

Also sorry, I didn't see the wheel subforum before I posted. Whoops!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Junk yard, Craigslist. Any 15" rim with 3.75" or more backspacing and a 5x4.5 bolt pattern will fit. I've seen explorer wheels, crown victoria wheels, Toyota Tacoma (5 lug version) and jeep wheels on rangers.

4. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

The tire selection is better for 15" wheels, lower load rating and should give a better ride.

Wheel selection is good too if you want a custom wheel.

Which ever size you get always test fit them to the vehicle, mostly the front but make sure you have clearance for the brakes.