Wheel hub R&R

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by ktmmudd, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ktmmudd

ktmmudd New Member

New member here, looking for info on replacing driver's side front wheel hub on 2000 Ranger 4x4. I don't have the vacuum engagement system and I'm getting conflicting info on changing out the hub. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I believe your setup is the same as mine. Pull the tire off, pull the caliper (2 bolts), pads, caliper bracket off (2 bolts) along with the rotor. Pull the spindle nut off, detach the hub from the knuckle (three bolts), unplug the ABS sensor and install in reverse order. Make sure you use a brand new Spindle nut to bolt the new hub onto the CV, You CAN NOT re-use spindle nuts. You can get brand new Raybestos spindle nuts from Rockauto.com for about 2.37 each plus shipping.

I am starting a possible hub replacement myself so if you need more help let me know.

4. OP
    ktmmudd

ktmmudd New Member

Thanks for the help; the info I found was telling me I had the vacuum system and all the crap that you need to do wasn't anything like my truck.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah I ran into that problem when I was ordering my first set last year. Sometimes your better off calling a parts place and giving them the specifics on your truck to make sure you get the right ones.

6. OP
    ktmmudd

ktmmudd New Member

One more question; what is the torque value for the spindle nut? I've looked in my Haynes manual but can't seem to find it.

7. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

8. OP
    ktmmudd

ktmmudd New Member

Thanks for the how-to, but my ranger has the non- vacuum no hub design.
    It just has a spindle nut.

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

It's a very simple swap. I just did both of mine. If you read my above instructions you will be able to get through it easily

10. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

I thought 4x4s didn't have spindles? And I don't have vacuum hubs either since I swapped to manual.

11. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Torque specs on the AXLE SHAFT nut is VFT (very ****ing tight).

Check your door jam for the date of manufacturing, I'll bet you have a early model 2001, which would explain why you dont have vaccuum hubs.

As for the hub assy, it's as simple as having the correct size socket for the shaft nut w/ an impact gun, a 12 point socket for the hub bolts, a BFH (big ****in hammer) for knocking the old hub loose, and all the random tools for removing the caliper & bracket.

Also, if you're lifted, I would suggest staying away from remanned hub assys. Get new ones preferably OEM, Timken, or Moog ONLY. Double check to see if you have front ABS when you order or you will recieve the wrong parts.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  12. OP
    ktmmudd

ktmmudd New Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I changed out the hub bearing today; piece of cake. No broken bolts and everything came off and went back together like it was supposed to.:thumbup: