What's the best fix for latch and light problems?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Popranger, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Popranger

Popranger New Member

Have a '97 with manual locks and windows and 3 bulb dome/map light. The latch was sprayed with some WD-40 due to the dome light not shutting off. The light problem improved. Now it shuts off about 8 out of 10 times the door is closed. When it does, its off immediately, there is no delay. I don't care about delay or no delay, I just want it to shut off. It now takes some wiggling on the door key to unlock from outside also.

Is there a way to clean off the grit and lube it so that moving parts keep moving and I don't have to replace the latch with another used one?

If I need to remove stuff, can I unplug the wire and just pull out latch and switch together instead of seperating them while inside the door? Wouldn't I have to disconnect some linkage from the door lock to get it out?

I read that a torx is needed to the window crank. Anybody know what size?

This is my first Ranger and first car that isn't 35-40 years old. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

try tightening the door latch itself, then use some lithium grease on the latch. Try that out and see how it goes