weird issue with HVAC..

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by ob269, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ob269

ob269 New Member

since I got the truck it has only worked on 4, but all of a sudden(today) then I flip it from off(3) to on(4) it kills all my electronics; head lights, radio, ohc etc..

What's up w that?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Sounds like a short circuit to me.

4. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Possibily of where?

5. Probably the blower motor control. The dot switch lol

6. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Wtf is the dot switch?

7. The one that controls the fan speed

8. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Well now it won't start, and its acting like I have a dead battery..

9. Maybe it's the battery then. Get a jump and get a new battery.

10. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Yeah, I think thats my issue. It starts right up once I get jumped..
    Only problem.. He's just a poor boy from a poor family..

11. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

tomorrow morning go outside and pop the hood and smack the hell outta the battery if it has a broken plate in it you might knock it back into place to be able to use it for a couple more days.....

12. Just disconnect the battery. Saved my ass when I had to get home from school.

13. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Well is it possible for a battery to just up and fail though?
    little more info from last night before it all happened. I got in and it fired right up and I drove the 2-3 miles to my buddies house and when we went to run to town it wouldn't start*(has happened before but if I rolled one way or the other it usually fired right up, always figured it was an issue w my starter) so I pop started it in reverse(way I was parked) and then on my way into towns when I noticed the hvac issue..

14. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

So I think I found the cause.. my clamp on my positive terminal has a split in it..
    It will be replaced once I can get the ****er off!

15. Yes. I was at home (just after I got my truck back from the garage for the water pump and thermostat housing). I was hooking my front lights back on because I took my guard off so they could work. I let my aux lights on for a matter of ten minutes, just so I can grab a couple things from the house and leave. I come back out, lights are still on. I've done this before with no problems. Now I go to turn the key, the entire truck goes black, and I just get a click... I didn't mention though that I had just drove the truck all over and parked it about a half hour before this happened. So yes, it is possible for it to just up and fail.

16. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

^^ well I just took my battery in to get it tested so I don't think that's the issue..

17. And it was okay?

18. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Yes sir. Still great and its from march of 08..

19. Mine was from October of 10 and had to be replaced in september of 11...

20. OP
    ob269

ob269 New Member

Wow, that's lame dude.. mine is still good..

21. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

did replacing the battery terminal fix it?