Tune up question

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by seriouscoin1, Apr 23, 2012.

1. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

What do you guys consider a "tune up"? I am looking to do one, but I want to know what you guys would consider as a tune up. I know everyones opinion is different. I would just like some sort of direction. Being that I just bought this truck about 2 mos ago. I changed the plugs, wires, CAI new K&N filter. (Oh and not to forget a new steering rack for giggles... )

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

well a tune up these days is no more than plugs/wires...but when i tune up my thunderbird thats plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condensor, and points

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

dont forget about the fuel filter.... and oil change if needed

5. OP
    seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Ahh okay thanks guys. I was wanting to change over and start using synthetic oil. Is there a way to transition to that? Or just go straight to it? I was also thinking of a coil pack because I have no idea if it has ever been changed. The truck has 85k. Any other items?

6. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i really wouldnt worry with the coil pack until it goes out... and as far as switching to synthetic just switch to it....

7. OP
    seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Thanks Klinger I appreciate it.

8. pcv valve dont forget that too

9. OP
    seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Hey guys just wanted to update you all. I changed the spark plugs, wires, K&N CAI filter and PCV valve. Wow did that make a difference! Idles like a dream now, gas has already dramatically improved. Before I was getting about 220 per tank, and I am at that with a 1/4 tank left. I am sure glad I changed the PCV, as I understand it should not allow pressure back in - only out. I blew into the old one both ways and there was no difference. The new one of course only allows air out. Thanks for the help. Next up is the synthetic oil change and filter! ;)