Transmission Rebuild Advice wanted

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by ZappyBear, Jan 12, 2018.

1. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

I got the tranny out of my '93 4x4 during a few warm days Indiana has provided. I haven't dug into it yet to replace the bearings because winter is doing it's thing right now and the shop is full. So, while I wait on that, is there any advice y'all can give me so I can minimize the chance of screwing up or it blowing up when I put it back in. FYI, I do believe the rollover noise mentioned in a TSB for the '93 rangers comes from lack of oil to the input bearing due to the "Oil Trough" filling up with metal shavings. I'll have to take a pic of that when I get around to cracking the cover again. Also, would anyone happen to know if that trough oil anything else besides the input bearing? Or am I wrong by saying it provides oil to the input bearing?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

Update: I pulled the extension housing housing and it's not looking good. Looks like someone was in before me. If it's whining again this soon, what kind of damage is there? Was it a bad rebuild? Is the output shaft damaged and they didn't replace it? We'll find out in the future. I'm no tranny expert, but by the pics, whomever rebuilt it didn't do a very good job. New locknuts are like 3 bucks a piece! 20180115_113619~2.jpg 20180115_113317~2.jpg

4. mhoward

mhoward Member

Wow man... I've never rebuilt an automatic, but those pics tell me you have a mess on your hands.

5. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

It's a Manual tranny actually. You can grab the input shaft and move it in, out, up, down, left, and right. I took the shift cover off and the input bearing is trashed, the trough that I assume guides oil to it is filled with metal shavings, but the gears and syncro-hubs look good. I'm just afraid of what the end of the output shaft looks like where it meets the pocket bearing.

6. mhoward

mhoward Member

Ah, my bad. Was looking more at the metal chips and stuff than the fact it has beefy GEARS! LOL The fact that the metal chips have gone all through the trans, you may be better off finding a salvage one to replace it.

7. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

I did look into that, refurbed one on ebay is 850 big ones and free shipping. That's alot for someone making just over minimum wage. That's why I opted to rebuild, didn't look too bad when I pulled the cover, just the fact that it's been rebuilt and is already whining scares me. I'll have post a pic of the input bearing and the oil trough when I get to taking them out.

8. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

20180117_180334~2.jpg 20180117_180246~2.jpg Yet another update, Finally got a pic of the oil trough. Also have a pic of a gear syncro-thingy. (Not actually a gear, it's 4th's syncro-thingy) But it's rounded off, not sharp like every other gear.

9. mhoward

mhoward Member

$850 is a lot in anyone's wallet. I would be more comfortable buying a salvage yard MANUAL trans than an automatic. I don't know what your options are as far as salvage yards go, but I would give that some SERIOUS consideration.

10. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

I was looking for salvage yards 'bout 2 years ago for a bed for my '88 gmc s15, nearest is "LKQ pick-your-part" and that's 40 miles away. I would actually rather put something like a borg-warner in it as my s15 definitely made that tranny look good. But I couldn't find anything that says any of Borg-Warner's Manual transmissions fit a ford 4.0l. I've downloaded a repair manual for the m5r1 and looked at some diagrams, I think it shouldn't be too bad. If I screw it up it was bound to be junk anyway. If I do have to get a new tranny, would the m5r1hd be any better than a plain 'ol m5r1?

11. mhoward

mhoward Member

I don't know much about the different transmissions, but the 'HD" on the end indicates it would be a better choice if you do have to get another one.

12. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

Ok, the thing is a bare case now, and I bet it's junk. But.... it'd still be worth getting a new tranny vs buying a new truck for 850 as I bought it for only 150. Anyway, here's some more pics. As many of you could see, whomever rebuilt this didn't use new gaskets, just way too much black rtv. It ended up clogging up the port that oils the input bearing. As seen in the upper left of the front bearing retainer pic. 20180118_141118~2.jpg 20180118_141231~2.jpg 20180118_141426~3.jpg 20180118_131959~2.jpg

13. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

Also forgot to add, pocket bearing is wore badly, but main output shaft is fine. Input is junk, all burned up and syncro-thingy for 4th (i'll find the real name adventually) is rounded off.

14. mhoward

mhoward Member

Wow! That is just about as trashed as it can get!

15. OP
    ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

Update. I'm proceeding with the rebuild, waiting for a new oil trough, rear nuts, tranny assembly lube, and slave cylinder to arrive. After some fine sandpaper, that spot in the front that holds the input bearing looks like it could hold a bearing fine. I'm just trying to figure out if that "step" on the left and right side of the input bearing's hole is a result of the input spinning in the case, or it was designed like that to keep the "bearing outer shell" from pressing too far into the tranny. I drove out the oil seal in the front bearing retainer and the oil seal, baffle, and shim came out one hard plastic piece. Yup, that's how hot the thing got. I was wrong thinking the black spot on the input shaft was metal from the bearing getting so hot it fused itself onto the shaft. Come to think of it now, if it had gotten that hot, it would have melted the bearing into the aluminum case. Now, I was looking around the forums. Looks like I'm not the only one skimming all the forums, seems like mhoward should be a website manager or something instead of a member. Almost every forum I've seen he's got an answer for. Thank's for the help and advice mhoward!

16. mhoward

mhoward Member

LOL I *DO* skim around many of the forums. Ford-Rangers.com is my "home", but I stop by here every day or two to see what's going on. My home forum offered me a moderator position back some time ago, but I declined as I don't desire that responsibility. I just prefer to cruise around, help when I can and learn things along the way. You are welcome for any help I have given and my advice is probably worth just what you paid for it! :)