Tranny trouble

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Spanky, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Spanky

Spanky New Member

Ranger newby here and first post. My '97 2.3 5 speed standard tranny is making a "chattering" noise. It doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out and noise is present in all gears. Noise is there when idling in neutral also. The tranny shifts through all gears good and the clutch doesn't slip but the noise is there. Any idea's?? Throwout bearing, input bearing, etc.?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Spanky

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RickyO

RickyO New Member

Tranny noise

From experience with a number of vehicles, I would first check for things rubbing that could sound like a tranny problem.

The whole drive train can move around quite a bit on the mounts and something touching the chassis can be quite noisy. I traced an annoying squeak once to a piece of wood stuck between the cab and the box. A friend swapped engines a few years ago and thought the new engine had a bearing going bad. It turned out to be the non-original oil pan contacting the frame when the engine was under load. A few well place smacks with a ball peen hammer solved the problem.

4. OP
    Spanky

Spanky New Member

Ricky,

Thanks for the tip.
    I got underneath and checked everything out... turns out the tranny crossmember was twisted on the drivers side and it was rubbing against the frame. Looks like it got whacked pretty hard somewhere along the line. I picked up a good one from the junkyard for $25 and replaced it. No more "tranny noise". I guess I should have looked for the obvious things from the start.:rolleyes:
    Thanks for the help.

Spanky