Tranny question

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by stdyhand, Mar 9, 2014.

1. stdyhand

stdyhand New Member

Hi, new to the forum so this is my first question. I recently bought a 92 Ford Ranger, 2.3l, 5 speed. This truck was bought simply to use as a backup that would be cheaper on fuel. When I first looked at the truck, it ran and shifted fine. It had/has a check engine light but these trucks are fairly simple to work on so I went ahead and bought it.

I got the truck home and right away it started to manifest some problems. Odd how that always happens. My first concern is a very loud clunking sound when the engine is idling and when driving down the road. It is so loud it sounds like a bad motor mount, but the clunking is random and sometimes hits harder than others.

I got to looking around to find the noise and I noticed the previous owner stuck two 2x4 blocks between the cross member and the transmission.
    Why do you suppose he would have done this? He did say the transmission was recently rebuilt and it does look like someone has had it open recently. It shifts great but I don't understand why he put the blocks there and I don't want to take them out just yet.

The engine is running rough due to a bad ECT sensor and ECM module. I just replaced the ECT sensor and backflushed the cooling system to get some rust out. The ECM is next.

The smoother the engine runs, the less the clunking occurs during idle. However, as soon as I start driving down the road you really hear the clunking. The cross member and transmission mount at the rear of the transmission, near the tail of it, look ok to me. The bell housing appears to be mounted right with no missing bolts. I don't know what these should look like underneath. Hopefully someone else has some insight on why this was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

My first guess would be the transmission mount is either bad or not there.

Randall Aldridge likes this.
  4. Mitchman

Mitchman Member

Sounds weird. i agree with the transmission mount being non existent.