Towing

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by DPG3, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DPG3

DPG3 Member

When i am towing, i usually use my truck and pull a small trailer with a Polaris RZR on it. I also have the bed almost full of wood. When i am on the freeway, i can barely go faster, and the acceleration of going up hill does not exist. It tries to just stay at a constant speed. I was wondering if this is normal.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. is this auto or manual . a little more info on what the truck specs are

4. timbits588

timbits588 New Member

what are your trucks specs? (what size engine do you have? etc) my '98 3.0 was a dog. my current '03 4.0 liter is better but no matter what, if you have them really loaded down, acceleration isn't going to be the best
    ------
    ^beat me to it

5. rangerwheelinmike

rangerwheelinmike New Member

you just have to take your time it will pull it gain speed before the hills and let it slow you down i used to haull full size mud trucks on trailer behind mine when i had the 3.0 auto with 3.73s and 35s

6. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

^Now that must have been a dog!

But otherwise, if your maxed out on your payload, your just gonna be forcing your engine to do more work and you wont go any faster. It all depends on the engine and gears you have for the truck.

But as of now, We know noting about your truck, some more help would be nice.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

i have a 2004 ford ranger edge, it has a 3.0l v6, and is a manual.

8. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That's a lot of weight and the v6 isn't a powerhouse. That's normal

9. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

alrite. it also has 102K on it. but the heads were remachined since a push rod snapped and got stuck in a cylinder. is there any cheap mods to make it a lil faster? i looked around on here and all the mods were for cars younger then mine

10. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

and doyouquaxu, i love that video, its hilarious

11. doyouquaxu

There isn't much to do to a 3.0, it's a work horse not a power house.

12. doyouquaxu

Lol I get a kick out of it

13. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

okay thanks

14. You can't really get a ton of power out of the engine since it's only a 6 cylinder, but you can throw a full exhaust setup on (headers, hi flow catalytic converters, performance muffler) and an air intake to allow the truck to breathe better. Not sure what kind of a market is out there for that kind of stuff though.

15. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

i dont want to spend that kind of money. i actually going to do a paint job on it and fix all the dents and ****. thinking about midnight blue or dark glossy blue. and i was wondering wat is the red line for it? i cant find it anywhre

16. Mine is at 6k, and there's no redline really. It's computer controlled. Member djfllmn should know though since he has a stick. It might be different though since we have 4.0s

17. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

well mine revs past 6k and keeps going. im afraid to blow it up. i heard its around 5.5k but i want to be sure.

18. I wouldn't push it past 6k at the most.

19. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

is it normal for it to not have a rev limiter stock?

20. Honestly, I'm not sure. I know mine has one when I'm in park and neutral around 3k. So maybe the manual doesn't have one?

21. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

thats wat im thinking. i tried in 1st, 2nd, and neutral and nothing