symptoms of overfilled transmission

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by mcdonald58, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

what are some symptoms of a overfilled transmission? i think mine might be about a half quart overfilled. my truck used to shift into neutral by itself. since then the truck stopped shifting into neutral now it just slips occasionally on first gear. if it is overfilled how should i get the excess fluid out. i was thinking a syringe with a hose attached to it.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

have you checked the trans dipstick to see where the level is at?

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Yea it's above the full line. I checked it when hot and after cycling through all the gears.

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

does anyone have ideas on how to remove the excess fluid? i think i might try a syringe with a hose attached to the bottom. i think its about a half quart over filled.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. Diablo

Diablo New Member

1/2 quart should not even bother it

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

It occasionally slips on first gear. That's the only symptom I'm getting. It didn't do this before I changed the fluid.

8. Diablo

Diablo New Member

what you can do to drain some is jack it up on an angle and loosen a few pan bolts and let her drain out then recheck after hot

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

I think I'm going to try the syringe method. So I don't have to unbolt a bunch of them. Now I just need to find a syringe.

10. Diablo

Diablo New Member

I had sort of the same problem it was starting to slip if I jumped on it say go into passing gear where it drops down into a lower gear I had a bad solenoid on the valve body, I have 6 solenoids if my memory is correct, I did the new filter ,gasket and solenoid and now it runs like it used to screams and leaves rubber on the ground with a bunch of smoke trying to catch up to me hahaha

good luck

11. Diablo

Diablo New Member

turkey baster with a 1/2 hose taped on it if it will fit in the tube

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Good idea now I just need to find a hose

13. Diablo

Diablo New Member

I used a clear piece of tubing I bought at home depot to do something similar to our car

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

I just got back from Walmart and got aquatic tubing and a syringe. Hopefully I won't have to drain too much out.

15. Diablo

Diablo New Member

just tape it on there real good dont wont to lose that tubing in the diptube

16. oddball101

oddball101 New Member

If you do end up changing your tranny filter, consider modding your pan as well to accomodate a drain plug/bolt like the oil pan under your motor. It makes things like this go a little more seemless for you in future runs. There are all kinds of write ups for this sort of thing online online for reference. I will be doing this also when I change mine out next as well.

17. FreezeLagger

FreezeLagger New Member

ANCIENT THREAD...But a super easy and convenient way to remove and measure fluid is to simply disconnect the "in" cooler line from the radiator)