Spark plugs

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by user12344556, Nov 8, 2017.

1. user12344556

user12344556 Banned

I'm doing my plugs on thursday. But just to get my head around them. I'm going to do motorcraft sp-500 platinum. They are AWSF-22pp. My Chilton says for 93 and later 4.0 push rods to replace with AWSF-42PP. Now when I look at parts at AutoZone the plugs suggested, the 42pp aren't a fit, but the 22pp are. Chilton says on 98 and later 4.0 push rods to use the 22pp, and they lost the same for 96 and later explorers with the v6. So I'm I'm not confused by the whole thing and motorcraft's web page is completely useless. So what has anyone else used to motorcraft in a 97 ranger 4.0 pushrod?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

I've got a 4.0 pushrod myself. I know growing up my dad never cared what plugs we put in stuff. As long as plug temp (amount of ribs on the porcelin), thread size/depth, and metal portion were the same length. I've never had an issue doing that way. Oh, and the seat was the same. Check what Napa's website has you use just as a reference, I've always let them look it up because I don't want to waste my time arguing over wether I know for sure or not if they'll fit.

vinn likes this.
  4. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Go with MOTORCRAFT SP 500, you will be just fine. Oh, DO NOT BUY THOSE OF EBAY OR AMAZON, they are not original MOTORCRAFT (fake). Get it locally, where you can get 2 years warranty.