scotch lok advice needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SalRanger2, Jul 30, 2012.

1. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

ok so im putting a tach in my brothers 93 toyota pickup, after alot of research, the only way to get a tach signal is from the ignitor coil thing under the hood. i was hoping i could tap into the wire at the cluster, but only some non-tach trucks had it pre wired for it(of course this one isnt). and of course it doesnt have the old style post coil or the easy service cap things like some trucks do. i have to tap into a wire off the ignitor. soo, im thinking ill do one of those scotch lok type taps. i read that you can pinch the metal tab thing down, then squirt a ton of silicon into it then snap the cap in place to help keep it weather proof (the main reason i didnt want to do one). soo do you think some silicon i found at home for automotive window sealer silicon will work? its clear, but idk if heat would be an issue with the ignitor thing??

any advice is apprieciated! thanks!

heres what the ignitor/coil thing looks like:
    [​IMG]
    the black wire on top is the one i have to tap into

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well i just put some di-electric grease in the tap and put it on and called it good. tach works great! haha

4. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

You should be good with some clear silicone or even some lithium grease globbed in there.
    As long as it doesn't get a lot of water on it, you should be good even without any sealant.

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

i hate scotch locks, whoever wired the 3rd brakelight in my cap used about 20 of them on my drivers tail light harness, and i don't really know why. but it's worked for 12 years now so i've got no reason to mess with it.

i prefer a nice heat shrink butt connector whenever i do wireing.

6. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

ok thanks guys, yea i think the di-electric grease should do good its corroison resistant and such. but yea i hate using them but didnt really want to mess with soldering.