rough idle, misses at low RPM

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by bigboatbill, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bigboatbill

bigboatbill New Member

Hello all. I am new to the ranger owner club. I recently purchased a 2001 with the 3.0 liter V6. The truck had been sitting uncranked for at least a month and according to information gleaned from Carfax has been driven very little in the past 2 years. The idle is only slightly rough but there is a noticable miss upon initial acceleration. As soon as 2000 or so RPM are achieved in the acceleration range there are no symptoms. When shifting into overdrive (especially at low speeds) there is a noticeable miss. The feeling is vey similar to the sensation of a tire out of balance. I have changed the plugs, plug wires and coil with no change. It has been suggested that perhaps the gas is contaminated. Any suggestions as to what might be a logical progression of trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    bigboatbill

bigboatbill New Member

Oh yeah, one more thing!

referencing the above post, the check engine light stays on and flashes intermittantly.

4. bowmaster85

bowmaster85 New Member

Codes??

Have you tried to drain the fuel and put fresh gas in it??? What are the codes for the check engine light......The computer threw the light for a reason.....Need a code to be in the ball park if the plugs and wires have been changed

5. OP
    bigboatbill

bigboatbill New Member

thanks for the reply. I have not drained the tank. What is the best way to obtain the code(s)? I assume this must require a visit to someone with a diagnostic computer? Could a faulty fuel injector cause this situation?

6. red red ranger

red red ranger New Member

places such as autozone will trigger what is going on with the check engine light and give you advice as to what to do with it

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thread moved to the new 3.0 engine tech section