Right front ABS sensor questions..

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by RobinBuddi, Apr 26, 2012.

1. RobinBuddi

RobinBuddi New Member

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 w/ 3.0

Well, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints for my brother yesterday and when it came time to remove the ABS sensor from the hub, I'd removed the allen bolt and gently pulled it out just evenly as possible.

After re-installing everything, the ABS light is on now and stays on. :huh:

Checked withb Ford dealer today and they said the sensor costs over $200!! Would it be sensible to get one from a bone yard? Also, what exactly could've broke when removing from hub??

Please advise.
    Thanks!!!!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Did you re-grease that sensor when you put it back in? That is a must! Make sure there is no debris where the sensor goes too. If it is regreased, see if a tuner can clear the code, or pop the neg terminal off for a few seconds and reconnect it.

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I suspect debris on the sensor between it and the tone ring inside the hub. Pull it out, wipe it off, reinstall. I've never greased them on any of the 15 or so times I've had to pull 'em(lift, hub replacement, cv replacement, etc)

$200 for a sensor!?!?!?!?!???????? You can get a BRAND NEW wheel bearing/hub assembly w/sensor and wire for a decent chunk less than that.

But....question of the day....why'd you remove the ABS sensor in the first place?? Upper and lower BJ replacement don't require removal of the sensor.

5. OP
    RobinBuddi

RobinBuddi New Member

Thanks for the great responses!!! I really do appreciate it.

Well, I was working in a limited space and had disconnected it primarily just to get it out of my way (swinging bfh around, etc. LOL) ....if I only knew then what I know now (nudge-wink).

I bet your right about there being dirt and/or debis in there (oops!). What's would ya recommend I use to clean it with (spray? brake clean? Just cloth?).

Also, this truck has larger tires than stock and I noticed that the sway bar links were broken on both sides, ..could it be because of the difference in ride height that stressed these to break, and if so, should they be changed to a different length now?

Please don't bash me, BUT I've always been a huge fan of the older (60's, 70's, 80's) cars and trucks. The newest most complex car I've ever owned was an '85 Riviera. Learned everything about computer controlled ECM4 Quadrajets and the smog controlled crap, ...eventually pulled the smog controlled 307 and dropped in an older modified 350 Olds rocket, modified torque convertor, changed gear ratio, modified FWD trans., dual exaust (no cat convertor) .......Sleeeeeeeeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kinda funny seeing such a nice clean, plush pimped out car that will roast the front wheels off (...second gear scratch!!). This car has a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) but it was located behind the speedometer (simply detected the VS by watching speedo cable).

Thanks a million!!!!
    Robin

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Try spraying brake clean in there then re grease it. As far as sway bar links being broken, you should be able to run stock links with bigger tires, the only time you need longer links would be for a suspension lift.

7. OP
    RobinBuddi

RobinBuddi New Member

Right on! Hooligan, thank you! I'll try that when time permits.

Robin

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Instead of making a big messy post, I'll have a couple couple liners. lol.

If there happens to be a "next time", you can just take a small screw driver to the ABS sensor wire holders on the frame.

Here's where I feel the need to disagree with the Clinton/Hooligan. I'd still spray with brake cleaner and wipe with a clean rag. BUT....I wouldn't grease the sensor itself. Maybe the o-ring, but not the sensor. I would think the grease between sensor and tone ring may give a false reading that could lead to malfunctioning ABS system. It's been some time since I've been down there dealing with bearing/hubs so this info could potentially be wrong.

Broken stock sway bar links are pretty common. If they're just oversize tires, no need to worry about getting taller links.

Did I bash you? If you thought I had, it wasn't intended. lol. No big on this stuff being new to you. It was new to us too at one point. My sweetheart is a 1971 Chevy C10 short stepside. Bought it at 16, did all the work but exhaust myself. Few years later built a 406 with eagle bottom end pushing 500 on the dyno. And she had a 307 in her when I got her. So I know what you're saying going from dino tech to (now) the new dino tech. haha.