Removed cluster to replace burned bulbs now issues with speedometer!

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by iponnet22, Nov 21, 2012.

1. iponnet22

iponnet22 New Member

Hi, some of the bulbs on my 2000 Ranger XLT where out on the instrument cluster panel so I took it out and replaced the bad bulbs put it back and than noticed the speedometer wasnt working, so I figured it was one of the connectors that wasnt seating well and took it out again and reconnected everything and naturally now I dont have signal lights or brake lights for that matter...lol is there a relay that controls both these things?

After driving my car for a while I noticed a cel for P0500 which is a VSS so I went ahead and replaced that but still no speedometer!! Did I brake something while removing the panel? I looked closely at the connectors and all the diodes in the back of the cluster nothing seems broken or twisted out of place as far as I can tell!

Does the speedometer need to be reset somehow? any help appreciated, thanks

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

id say check your fuses, but anything more than that idk

4. 03crewcab

03crewcab Real Trucks Rattle

Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery?

5. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Pull the cluster and examine each bulb. Maybe one is shorted out somehow. Even on new bulbs this happens. It's easy for the wires on wedge bulbs to short out.

Check the wires going to the cluster connectors. Maybe a wire or 2 pulled out of the connector.