regular oil or synthetic

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by tlee, Apr 19, 2019.

1. tlee

tlee New Member

I put syn in my 2010 ranger xl it seems to work good it has only 46000 miles on it now.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

If it was pure synthetic, watch for oil leakage. Spots on the floor, stuff like that.
    The adage for quite a while now has been, if your engine has put on a fair amount of miles with regular oil and you suddenly change to synthetic, it will bleed oil from anyplace that can....the more miles on the engine, the worse the leakage.
    If its a Synthetic blend, the bleeding might not be so bad, since its a blend of straight synthetic and regular oil.
    ...and just because its not bleeding out anywhere you can see (like the valve cover), that doesn't mean its not making it past the valve seals and piston rings and is being blown out the exhaust.

Dean

4. Lowly Jimson

Lowly Jimson New Member

tlee likes this.
  5. Lowly Jimson

Lowly Jimson New Member

I put full sun in my ‘08 XL 2.3L at 1st oil change when new. Now with 177K miles no oil burn, no oil leaks. Changed oil and filter every 5K miles.

DeanMk likes this.
  6. Efisher26

Efisher26 New Member

I bought mine from auction with 158k no history known, I put full syn in it with no issues. Restore also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. OP
    tlee

tlee New Member

I did too.

8. Tom Autry

Tom Autry New Member

I have 195000+ on my 2.3. I started with full synthetic at about 100000 miles . No leakage and no oil consumption !

9. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

...we go some lucky truck owners here!

10. Jamey E

Jamey E Member

MotorCraft full syn for me!! 161,000 miles, no leaks, drips, or smoke

11. hankosaurus

hankosaurus New Member

Switched to high mileage full synthetic at 154K several weeks ago. No leaks visible yet.

Update: December 9: It has been about 3 months now since the switch to synthetic. Still no leaks.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Efisher26 likes this.
  12. ndordlec

ndordlec New Member

I have used synthetic oil on my truck for years. I have no complaints.