Rear End Question

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Codyhurly64, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Codyhurly64

Codyhurly64 New Member

I've been trying to look it up online and people just seem to contradict what they say. So here it is, what rear end comes stock in a 1998 XLT? Limited-Slip or Open??? And is a posi-trraction rear end the same as limited slip? Thanks!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

it all depends you could have either the open or limited slip diff.... if you look on the drivers door frame you should see the tag that has the axle info on it it should be a umber like 86 or so once you tell us that number we can tell you what rearend you have in your truck

4. OP
    Codyhurly64

Codyhurly64 New Member

The Axle # Is 96

5. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

you have an open 8.8 with 3.73 gears.

yes posi traction is the same a LS people call them different things

6. carrkool

carrkool New Member

no Limited slip is not IS NOT the same as posi. Limited slip transfers wheel spin from one well to another hens the Limited slip. A posi Spins both wheels equally at the same time. Old trucks from the 70s and 80s had these. most newer trucks have limited slip to get posi you install a air locker from one of many companies detroit lockers have a great rep. these kits when engaged lock the axles together creating a posi rear but when done playing you can unlock them. this gives you great off road use and better on road wear and mpg i had a 79 ford F250 with front and rear posi rears with a 460 built a 3000rpm stall converter stage 2 shift kit 44in SS 10in SL 3 in duals when i locked it in 4x4HI and lite the tires up all four tires burned rubber.

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

*shakes head*

A posi is COMPLETELY different than the LOCKERS you've mentioned above.

Posi is short for positive traction, which is the name GM used for the limited slip Eaton differential they used in their performance cars. Ford used the name Traction Lock, Chrysler used the name Power Lock for their Spicer limited slip and Sure Grip for their Auburn limited slip. I think AMC used the name Safety Track for their limited slip. Posi was the name that caught on and is now the generic name for the limited slip differential.

8. carrkool

carrkool New Member

posi rearends where NOT a limited slip rear end a gm posi lock rearend is a 3 way rearend it would lock on tire or the other tire or both depending on how much pressure was on the axle relating to foward movement. A true by defenation POSI rear was desgined so that both wheels regardless of pressures would turn. very popular on old cars like chevells nova elcominos mustangs. these posi rears are what gave you a dual burn strip when you lite them up. on a limited slip rear you get one line not to even on the gm posi trac you might start with 2 but switch to one very quickly. limited slip was designed so that the rearend would transfer power to different tires to help with general traction. however in off roading it is commonly unliked because when it feels there is to much pressure on one tire in switchs to the free tire which seems to never fail has no traction. this is also why most of roaders install a lock. it replace the limited slip setup and allows you to lock the axles together gaining use of both tires. avaible for front and rear reearends....

9. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

you must be losing it in your old age because "posi" is a from of limited slip diff, what you said is a lunchbox locker

10. Brinker88

There are 2 types of limited slip/posi's. Clutch type or Worm gear type. Either way you look at it, it's still a limited slip.

Im holding my tongue here so look it up for yourself.

11. hazard-maine

i just looked it up before you said this and yeah pretty much brad is right, like every time

12. Brinker88

13. carrkool

carrkool New Member

if you ever find a true posi take it for a drive they are hard to find these days most of them are probly either in a serious off road rig or a grave yard. the old true posi sucked in town and on old country roads. they pushed in turns and corners really badly. but that was what you paid for the gains of a full posi rear. im not going to sit here and fight about the diffenence in a posi rear end limited slip rearend and lockers. i post my reply to the questions if some one wants a posi or a limited slip do your homework and go from there

14. hazard-maine

your wrong, and oh by the way your wrong, your thinking about full constant locked rear

15. Brinker88

How big of a hammer do I need to get through your thick skull? If you cant manage to accept you were wrong and take it as a learning experience, that's your fault. Do NOT try to push incorrect information on people when they've PROVED you're incorrect.

16. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

PROVEN*

just saying. :D

17. Brinker88

You proveded me wrong!

18. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

If you take the second "you" out of the quote above and put an apostrophe in the middle of "were", it makes the rest of us look pretty dumb.
    Try it. It reads pretty funny. ;)

...and yeah, carkool is thinking of a locker rear end.
    "Posi" (actually "Pos-A-Traction"), "Track-Lok", and "Sure Grip" were all manufacturer brand names for a clutch type limited slip rear end.
    Variations would be the classic "Auburn", which uses cone shaped clutches and the pump driven style ("Gearator"?), which seems to be the most popular with the manufacturers these days.
    ...and, carkool, if we are all wrong, then what the hell is "Posi Fluid" for?

I guess an example of the "worm gear" type of LSD would be an Eaton/Detroit True Track. Correct?

Dean

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012