Project: iPad 2 GPS

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by doyouquaxu, Apr 10, 2012.

1. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

During my trip through the Mojave off roading, I noticed that two of the guys used iPads as a GPS instead of a more expensive alternative. Seeing as I'm low on cash and already have an iPad 2 that I got for free (thanks brother!), I figured I might as well use it. I asked them and they're using an external antenna connected thru bluetooth and an app called MotionX GPS HD
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/GNS-5870-MFI-Receiver-iPhone/dp/B004289ZW0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334116121&sr=8-7&t=f15for-20"]Amazon.com: GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver for iPod, iPhone and iPad: Car Electronics[/ame]

Thanks to the video below, I decided to tackle the task of making my own mount

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Since I have an automatic, the logical place for me to mount it is on the floor. I have a set of Explorer buckets and a shorty console in my truck, so the area right in front of it is a great place for this to go. The little black cubby below mounts to the floor with four screws, and once it's removed will be where this little console goes. I know my truck is filthy, oh well.
    [​IMG]

So far, my materials list is short, I've spent $8 in wood from Lowes. I have 1 .75"x1.25"x48" piece that will be a trim piece that both surrounds the iPad and holds it to the mount. I also have a .5"x2ftx4ft piece of particle board that will make up the rest of this thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the bottom picture above, the iPad is sitting roughly in the center of what will be the top piece of the mount. I made a paper template in the truck that measures roughly 10.5" wide and 8" long. The width is about 1/4" wider per side than the airbag switch and ash tray opening.

I have no clue what I am going to wrap this in, maybe suede or black headliner material. I'm really not sure yet.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Gonna look pretty cool.

4. wyman00

wyman00 5.0 Ranger driver

Sweet idea! Can't wait to see this finished.

5. Franchi Motorsports

Franchi Motorsports Ranger Forum Vendor

I plan on installing an iPad 2 in the Blue Beast at some point this year. Just so I can use the new SCT iTsx which allows you to tune your car/truck via the ipad or iphone. Also works as a monitoring station for a large number of guages. And of course, can run all the music, gps, ect ect that a you can fit on the ipad.

[​IMG]

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thats awesome dude!

7. OP
    doyouquaxu

i've already got an ultra gauge that will take care of the diagnostic stuff for me, but i can always buy the obdII transmitter down the road.

8. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Cant wait to see it done!

9. pretty sweet idea, gonna look good

10. OP
    doyouquaxu

i hate working with wood. i always go so long between projects involving wood that i forget how much i hate working with it. gah. i used the stick of .75" stuff to build a frame that will hold the ipad to the top, and then cut out notches so that the ipad can slide in from the passenger side and then be held down. lots of sanding and fitment required now, or i could just buy something like this that would probably be a lot simpler and easier. the pic is a mount made by a company called sanus and is supposed to attach to a flat screen tv mount.
    [​IMG]

or
    this one is the holder for a RAM mount
    [​IMG]
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-HOL-AP8U-Holder/dp/B00430B0L6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334208929&sr=8-3[/ame]

11. OP
    doyouquaxu

my wood slider/holder crap pieces hit the garbage can. i was at lowes getting something else and found a 3ft piece of 3/4x3/4" L, and a 1/2x1/2x1/2" piece of C channel. 1- screws later this thing is ready to get covered. i made the top/bottom pieces tight enough that this thing won't fall out even if it's upside down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then got enough motivation to cut out the side pieces and finish this up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now all i've gotta do is find fabric to cover it, probably gonna paint it for now because i have a trip coming up in a few weeks that i am taking this on.

12. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Can't wait to see this mounted in and working!!!

13. OP
    doyouquaxu

here's at least a screen shot of the GPS app. i uploaded a race course out in the desert, the mile markers all show up when you zoom in closer.

[​IMG]

14. OP
    doyouquaxu

I went to the fabric store today intending to look at materials to cover this thing in. They ended up having some black suede on sale for 50% off, so I picked up a yard. Should go well with my black/grey interior.
    [​IMG]

15. OP
    doyouquaxu

i'm still working on this. spend a lot of time just taking the uncut suede trying to figure out how to wrap it up so that it'll all work.

first, i covered everything in some felt to give it a bit of padding where the ipad will live, and to hide the sharp corners of the wood. i used spray adhesive on the bare wood to keep the felt on there, the staples are to keep the felt stuck while the glue dries and whatnot.
    [​IMG]

I kind of said 'eff it' and eyeballed the cutting of this piece. it's close, and it's gonna get covered anyways so it's doing a good enough job.
    [​IMG]

aaaaaaaand, the first side of suede.
    [​IMG]

16. OP
    doyouquaxu

for my first time doing a custom wrapped box/mount/anything except a headliner, i don't think i did too bad of a job. it could be better, but i'm no pro. the inside edges won't be visible, so i'm not too worried about seeing staples or anything back there.

[​IMG]

17. OP
    doyouquaxu

and a rough mock up sitting in the truck. not bolted down or anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

That looks sweet. Can the iPad be easily removed from the box?

19. OP
    doyouquaxu

yeah, you just pull up on the left end and then it slides out the rest of the way.

20. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Nice I like it a lot

21. KapowRanger

KapowRanger New Member

Great idea mate! might have to make one myself!