Plasti Dip fun

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by dropt_98, Mar 25, 2013.

1. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Thinkin about getting a can or two of the smoked plasti dip and darkening it down a couple shades. I've read that each coat of it will darken down like 15%. Does anyone have any experience with this on their rims? I'm curious to see how long it lasts before it starts peeling

here's my idea, what do you guys think?

before
    [​IMG]
    photoshop idea
    [​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

never used the smoke stuff myself, but ive used the regular black. and contrary to what you may think, it wont peel on its own.

only way its peeling off is if you pick at it for a while, and peel it off.

It might get chips in it, which are easy to touch up. but in general, the stuff is stupid strong. its not as easy for it to come off as one may think. It's hard to explain until you do it for yourself. its great stuff.

4. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Hm I'm even debating using it to smoke the brake lights just lightly. I used to have a set of tail lights that were pitch black but they were stolen off of my truck. someone literally ripped them and the wire harness out of my truck!

5. 06FordFX4

they would probably work on the tail lights. as it would be removable, unlike the nightshades spray paint.

just make sure you do at least 3 coats, otherwise it will not peel very well.
    Being that its the smoke, id do 4 coats just to be sure, because if its not thick enough, it will not peel off at all. will peel in tiny pieces.

6. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

thanks for the tips man, i'll have to experiment when the weather warms up

7. 06FordFX4

yeah no problem.

I had my hood and grille done last summer to see If i liked the look or not.

thenI peeled it off later as i will get it done in vinyl material.

8. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Any reason why you peeled it off and went to vinyl instead? Are there any disadvantages to this stuff?

9. 06FordFX4

i get my truck mudy alot, which requires scrubbing with a cloth. if you scrub to hard on the plasti dip, it will scratch and start to peel.

I assume vinyl might be the same, but tougher. So I may even just go the route of actual paint.

10. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I advise against using the "smoke" Plasti Dip. I've read and seen the pics of the results on chrome and clear plastics.....it's just too flat and dull to give the results you and others were after.

Here's what the black Plasti Dip did in a well used location on my truck... BUT, it did do everything exactly the way I intended it to do: give me an idea on how Matte Black would look in this well used location(namely where my boots kick the rocker getting in)...
    [​IMG]

Since those are just snap-on chrome cladding, you can remove it and get a good finish. I suggest looking into this product: Dupli-Color Shadow. It's a glossy tinted clear system in rattle can form. Affordable. Available almost everywhere Dupli-Color is sold. The more coats, the darker it'll be. There's some decent results posted on the webisphere, you just gotta look for 'em. Videos on the YouTubes too. Check it out...

Linky: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shadow/

[​IMG]

You can always grab a set of dirt cheap chrome wheel covers from Wal Mart or whatever and experiment. Or shoot, grab an extra set of stock lug covers and go to town. Write down your formula when you find you like its tone, repeat on your wheel covers. If you don't like 'em, scuff 'em up and shoot 'em black or leave 'em off....your steel wheels behind the chrome covers should be black.

Best of luck and be sure to remember to post pics with your results!!

11. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Thanks for the info man. I wonder if you could shoot a coat of clear over top of the plasti dip and still keep its removability. Guess I'm gonna have to do some tests once this snow melts!

I didn't know that the chrome on my rims could come off, do you have any how-to's on how to remove and reinstall without damaging the chrome? If I can get them off I know someone who could rechrome them for cheap, then I wouldnt be so concerned about painting them lol

12. 06FordFX4

There's a ton of videos on YouTube. Search "dip your car" and they have a lot of tests and ****, including clear coat over plasti dip I believe.

13. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

That style of wheel seems to be a steel wheel with a chrome cap on top of it. Same with the 7 spoke chrome wheels, but the 7 spoke wheels had three different styles: (1)thick, easily removable chrome cladding and (2)a thin, pain to remove chrome cladding that seemed glued on and (3)a chrome plated steel wheel(no cover). It's been a while since I've had your wheels up close so they have have multiple styles.

Pop off your lug covers and find out!

You can see how these are chrome caps by the lug surface being black or grey...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Mine looks like your top picture, a thin piece thats probably a pain in the arse