Oil Gauge

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by jmicko, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jmicko

jmicko New Member

Hey everyone.

So I just started having a issue with my oil gauge. When my truck is idling or at a stop with the brakes on my oil gauge starts to flicker back and fourth rapidly and the "check gauge" indicator comes on.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

i would put a mechanical gauge on it to see if it is actually loseing oil pressure.... if its not... i would say the oil sending unit is bad... you could just pick up a new sending unit... there only around 15 bucks

4. Oley

Oley New Member

Mine did the same thing... Except driving down freeway, Oil gage went up and down rapidly then went to 0, engine valve train started to make noize, pulled over and had it towed.

What did you fine out jmico?

Oley

5. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Oley, yours sounds like your pump stopes working or the syncro went bad on ya.. Just hope you caught it in time and the internals of your engine are ok :/

6. Oley

Oley New Member

If the Syncro went bad wouldn't the engine stop? Computer would not know where the cam is.
    This is the second time this has happened. First time was at 37k and Ford covered an engine replacment becasue my daughtor drove until it locked up.
    This time my son was driving and he shut it down before it locked up. I have been reading and trying to find out how to test the Oil Pump with out any success. Red a lot about the Cam Syncro and with 180K on it now I am sure it is going bad.
    Would like to get this fixed.
    Any advice would be welcome.

7. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Any info on the vehicle would help

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

9. Oley

Oley New Member

tried to use the links above and go to userCP but info did not take.

99 Ranger 4x4 Auto 3.0 180k on it.
    Oley

10. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Did you click save at the bottom of the page?

11. Oley

Oley New Member

You mean there is a Save Button at the bottom of the page???
    LOL... Yes I did.

I have my listing in my garage but it does not post with my thread entries. I do not have a photo.

12. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You'll have to try it again, I havent heard anyone else having a problem.