o1' ext cab frame preserve

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by rangerjeff, Mar 8, 2013.

1. rangerjeff

rangerjeff New Member

i started by taking the box off and then bumber etc..... and im rippin into it deep please somebody just shoot me lol .it has medium/heavy rust but still strong.i'm whittling steel with a file. i yanked original stock exhaust and brackets off.cat and back (1 piece) and rubber damper pass.side i didnt want to but i figured what the hell i see what you guys do and after chattin with hooligan and seeing what he did. (por 15) i'm inspired its only got 53,000 on 3.0 auto i bought from the original owner that decided to get off the grid (great guy) heading to colorado he left today on a bus.the body is solid but i do live in the poconos (salt belt) . so any of you guys got ideas post them up! i always take advice from guys thats been there and done that .let me know of any meet & greet in the 400 mile radius. thanks again to hooligan for showing how to get er'done.:thumbup:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Anytime man, good luck....It is a time consuming project. I do recommend a grinder with a wire wheel to strip the rust.

4. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I think Ford ran out of steel and had the Ranger Frames made in China with cheap steel.
    All of them RUST, snow belt the worse but you need to be the one to determine how far you want to go.

Only thing don’t do it half @ss, not worth it and a waste of money.

Make sure to use Chassis Black over the POR 15.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. OP
    rangerjeff

rangerjeff New Member

thanks for the feed back!!! on the weld (Which i liked to do)i didnt want to hit the steel with too much heat and retemper. i was thinking of prefabbing some bolt on steel. the one part that concerns me is really not too scructual important (inside lip 2" next to rubber axle dampner). the 90* and 45* angles and corners are pretty beefy. original rivets are all solid. im dropping tank and lines tonight . my question to my fellow rangers is???? will the por 15 cause me any grief down the road to modify or repair . like welding or drilling . hit me back thanks again.p.s. i still have time to decide . my 00' running tough!!

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

If you have to weld onto it, just grind off the por15 where the weld will go then por15 over the new stuff. You will be able to drill through it. I drilled through mine when I did my train horns

7. Belvader

Belvader New Member

sorry this doesn't pertain to the truck but i saw your name 'rangerjeff' and it confused the hell out of me because my name is jeff and it's just not a very common name and i'm 15 also. hahaha just thought i would share my holy **** moment with you guys lol. and looking forward to seeing your truck!

8. OP
    rangerjeff

rangerjeff New Member

well the latest is, my hands are killing me ive been scraping on this frame for at least 40 hours so far.that factory undercoating is sticky as sh*t. so im using a sharpe cheisel to get that off and getting the inside of brackets along the upper frame real bit*h . wire wheel works on rust only and cant get in the nooks and crannys.i think im going to use por 15 silver because of the metal fillers in it.ill let you know how its going if i can type after i get done. later

9. OP
    rangerjeff

rangerjeff New Member

im still scraping away , used my heat gun to remove all the factory undercoat man if that **** worked i wouldnt be bustin a$$ on this frame.i went around 5 times so far.i just cut , drilled and hammered the back leaf bracket off pass. side going to mount temp. and do drivers side tomorrow. im filming some of it . so i get some pics up . this frame is going to out last my great grandchildren if i ever get any lol. gotta rest ltr