NEED some tech help on t-case motor

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by samuelghoggatt, Dec 18, 2012.

1. samuelghoggatt

samuelghoggatt New Member

My Mechanic is telling me that I need to replace my t-case shift motor. It seems simple to pull it off and put a new one on. He said something about testing and calibrating with an electrical tool or some sort. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if replacing the t-case motor is "simply pulling the old one off and putting the new one on" or if there is more to it than that. thanks guys

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. cvar

cvar New Member

What makes you think your shift motor is bad? Can you hear the "clunk" when it shifts? Do your front axles not engage? Are your locking hubs OK?

A few yrs ago, my shifter wasn't working (no 4x4). Was it seized from lack of use? Bad electrical connections? I no longer recall why. I knew nothing about my 4x4 back then, incl. that it had a shift motor.

I unbolted mine, took it apart, cleaned it up, then reinstalled it again. Presto! It worked great, ever since. So I didn't need any "calibration". Nor a new one. See http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

I read that it needs to be operated about every month, for internal lubrication, so I just switch into 4x4 mode to exercise it whenever it rains.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. OP
    samuelghoggatt

samuelghoggatt New Member

I recently had my hubs, bearings, and four wheel drive redone and serviced. The reason I agree with my mechanic on the shift motor being bad is because i have 4 wheel drive high, but it wont engage into four wheel low. AKA, the t-case wont shift over into low gearing. The four wheel drive works and hubs engage.

5. cvar

cvar New Member

TO shift into 4wd low, you must be in neutral, and stopped. Were you?

6. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

Foot needs to be on the brake and clutch pressed too if you have a manual trans