Need help with my 88 ranger

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by PrinceClunker, Mar 3, 2011.

1. PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

my dad gave me his ranger after he got his new truck but the motor is blown:furious:.......i was wondering if i need to go to a bigger motor than the stock 2.9....its got a 6 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift running 33's.....plez give me any useful andvise.....thanks:thumbsup:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. jacobxstanley

jacobxstanley Michigan Ranger Driver

you shouldnt need a bigger motor.

BUT, if you are wanting a bigger motor, get a 5.0 from an explorer or mustang. its a pretty common swap and you'll have more than enough power.

4. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

would that bolt up to the tranny i have or would i need to swap that to

5. jacobxstanley

IIRC you would need a t5 tranny from a mustang for manual, or the tranny from the auto explorer.

6. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

i definitly want a manual.....all my mudders have always been stick

7. jacobxstanley

Member wyman00 has the 5.0 in his ranger, I'm sure he'd be more help with the other details than me, seeing as I have a 4 banger haha

8. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

thanks for all the info.....hopefully i will get her running soon....i just sold my f150 cuz i couldnt afford her anymore:(

9. jacobxstanley

no problem man, hope you get her fixed up nice!

10. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

me to.....someone told me that the 4.0 ohv would bolt right to the tranny i have.....is this true.....i dont no a whole lot about this truck and a dont want to mess her up.

11. jacobxstanley

Honestly I'm not sure about that, you might want to do some further research.
    It seems like it wouldn't handle it for long, but Then again I have no clue haha.

12. SPless

SPless New Member

I'm almost 100% sure it will bolt right up, as IIRC me and some of my friends were working on a gen 4 ranger with the OHV motor that needed a 5spd tranny, and we had another buddy with a parts truck with a 2.9 so we got the tranny from the 2.9 truck and it worked.

13. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

ok thank you SPless....that is good news...i am hoping to have her ready for the mudd rally in april.....its for relay for life

14. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

ok so i found a 1993 explorer with the 4.0 in it......will this motor and tranny work in my 88 ranger.......i hate to keep bothering yall but i dont want to waste my time and money

15. SPless

SPless New Member

I'm not really sure how much wiring you would have to change, I'm sure you'd have a lot of wiring to do with the differences in the wiring. They could be some of the same though since they both have the cologne engines. Also, you may want to verify your front axle, because if you have the dana 28 instead of the 35 then it may have problems keeping up with the extra power the motor puts out compared to the 2.9

16. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

ok thank u again spless

17. SPless

SPless New Member

No problem man. If you can get the 4.0 for cheap enough I say go for it. I would say you may as well go for a 302 but then you would have to spend a lot more money beefing up the axles as well as a new transmission/xfer case since you actually intend to use it. Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

18. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

yea i think the 4.0 will give me plenty of umph

19. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Depends on what size tires you're running....I dont have much umph anymore due to 32's and a 3.27 gear ratio

20. OP
    PrinceClunker

PrinceClunker New Member

rite now its got 33's but the are balder than my grandpa lol.......i was thinking about going to 35's....is that to much tire?

21. what gears you runnin? you can always regear your diffs for bigger tires and if your muddin you might want to regear anyway