My Custom LED Modded 3rd Brake Lights (KY)

Discussion in 'Ranger Forum Classifieds' started by buggman, Feb 5, 2011.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Here they are, my custom modded OEM 3rd Brake Lights.

I have both cargo light versions & all red versions.
    Right now, I have a few cargo light versions ready to ship & a couple all red versions ready.

PICS:
    Cargo Light
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Red
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics shining on my garage door about 10' away in total darkness, no flash. That's one of my all red ones, it has 112 led's, my other one has 63 led's but is 90% as bright.

Each 3rdBL is sealed once I have the LED panels installed. I use voltage regulators to control the voltage to the led panels & every one is tested for at least an hour to make sure everything works properly.

Some will have an OEM wiring connector so all you need to do is unplug your old one & plug in the new one. Some may have T10 bulb holders wired in so all you'll need to do is plug the bulb holders into your existing wiring harness.
    If you want a more custom install, I can have just the wires coming out so you can connect it however you'd like.

These should fit most Rangers from 96 and up. I only have my truck (96) to test on, but I have people with 2001 & 2004's that are using them as well.

BTW, Hooligan has my #0001 led modded 3rdBL.

PRICING:
    Cargo Light versions: $50.00 plus shipping (USA)
    All Red versions: 112 led model = $60.00 plus shipping, 63 led model = $50.00 plus shipping
    PayPal is good for me.

For more pics, that hopefully won't be as large as a sheet of plywood, check out my Photobucket page.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    buggman

Here's a quick vid I made of my modded 3rdBL:

[​IMG]

I went the extra mile & wired the 2 outer red sections to my turn signals/hazard lights so they blink accordingly to the turn signals/hazards.

You could do something similar with a cargo light but instead of connecting to the turn signals, connect it to the reverse lights to have a little more light when backing up.

4. YellowEyes89

YellowEyes89 US Navy

Cool mod!

5. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

awesome mod, if i didn't already mod my 3rd for LED's, i would be on this... i just need to wire up my cargo lights...lol

6. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Those Damn Kids

damn, i wish i wasnt broke lol

7. OP
    buggman

Been a while since I've posted anything new on my 3rdBL's, so here's a couple crappy quality videos of something I've been working on for a while... it's still basically a prototype, need to shrink the electronics down & fully assemble it, but it's a work in progress.

Basically a new twist on my buggman mod 3rdBL with turn signals, only now the turn signal portions will flash sequentially with each turn signal. Videos show both on at the same time, but that's just for testing.
    When it's a little further along, I'll add 2 adjustable resistors so whoever gets it will be able to adjust the speed of the sequences to match their particular turn signal timing... each truck may be a little different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hey Terry, and here I thought you forgot about this site!

Nice job on the 3rdbl in the video was that the hazzard light operation or the brake light mode?

can you also make each side blink such as left and right for blinkers too?

looks good

9. OP
    buggman

I just had both circuits powered by a small power supply for the video... they'll work as turn signals normally (left for left turn, right for right). This one also has 2 rows of led's inside the sequential areas that will be connected with the center brake light portion as well.

I'll probably use this on my truck for a while when it's all finished just to see how well I like the design & placement of the led's. The next one may have some revisions depending on how this one works out.

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Free bump

11. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

i wish

12. OP
    buggman

Update

Good grief!
    I didn't realize it has been soooo long since I updated this thread!!!

Well for this special occasion, I present... seen for the first time ever...

The Cargo 3rd brake light WITH turn signals:

click the pics for videos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is spoken for already, but if there is enough interest I may make this version one of my "standard" mods.
    Pricing is TBD as of now.

With such limited room in the cargo areas, I had to make the decision on which color would get the most led's... white won. The red turn signal portion does look pretty cool lighting up the white lens area.
    Whenever of IFever I get some time, I may see how orange and yellow led's would look for the turn signals too.

Comments? Suggestions?

13. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

that is frickin awesome terry, what about that, with the sequencial turn signals?

14. OP
    buggman

It might be possible... I still haven't finished the first sequential turn signal mod I started last year :thumbdown:

15. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

ohh, i might have to ditch my cap if i get one of these

16. DUDE!!!!! ME WANT!!!!!!! :eek:

17. nice job Terry!

18. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

Hey Terry Do you have any of these cargo LED 3rd brake lights left? I know I had to cancel my previous order last time but my fiance is willing to buy one for me for my Bday. Let me know.

19. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Will your kit include the wiring for the directionals, enough to go under the driver’s seat ?

Will the directionals be in amber ?

The Directional Signal Mod to the Cargo Lights is a great mod.

Great Mod for safety too !

20. OP
    buggman

I could probably include enough wire to run down to the seat area. I'd probably use 18ga wire as there isn't going to be any heavy electrical load requirements, maybe 2a max.

Depending on the type of led's used, I may be able to have white cargo lights & amber turn signals (or even red).

Either way, you'll have a bit of wiring to do to tap into your brake/turns to get everything going... but it shouldn't be too difficult.

21. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

when is the next batch going to be ready