Mustang Rear Calipers?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by drppdyllwrngr, May 17, 2012.

1. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

Been planning to replace the parking brake shoes on my explorer axle. It can be done without pulling the axles, but would be much easier doing so. I don't really want to do that. I have read too many horror stories about the retaining bolt breaking off. Anyways, in my searches, I found a good write-up telling how to do it. Easy enough, until the springs. In the reading, I read that you can replace the explorer calipers with mustang calipers. The biggest difference is the mustang caliper doesn't use the internal drum brake for the parking brake. It uses the main pads. Has anyone heard of this or have done it? Planning to go to the pick-n-pull saturday and pull a set from a mustang and put them on an explorer and see what happens. Any other info would be helpful!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

i have heard of it and saw that the only the mustang full swap, not what you are talking about. Sorry dude, but good luck!

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

That's a new one for me.

FWIW, I didnt have a problem dissasembling the axle.

5. OP
    drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

Murphy's law usually applies heavily to me.....what could go wrong will go wrong. LOL Plus, i don't really want to drain the rear, etc.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Put the kids to work.... slave labor lol

7. OP
    drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

well, tried it at the pick-n-pull today.....no where even close to fitting or being a "direct bolt on" like was posted on another forum. So i came home and started to tear the rear apart to do the drum parking brakes. passenger rotor came right off to find a leaking axle seal. FML! Went to pull the driver's side apart to see how it looked....it's rusted to the hub. FM! So now it looks like I get to pull the diff cover, get the bolt holding the cross pin in place, then pull the axles. might as well pull the axle out, clean it up and paint it before putting it back in. this will have to wait a few more weeks.