Manual 4wd hubs

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by 92 ranger, May 2, 2011.

1. 92 ranger

92 ranger New Member

I have a 92 Ranger 2.3liter and I am getting manual 4wd hubs for it. What are my options in terms of what years/models of fords that have the same 4wd hubs? I am getting them from the junk yard

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

1st through 2nd gen ranger's bronco IIs....With the ranger make SURE they are Dana 28 hubs and not Dana 35s or they wont fit right All bronco IIs had dana 28s so you shouldnt have any problems there. Make SURE also that you get the inner and outer spindle nuts with the locking ring. Definitely look for them on a Bronco II...You'll have a hard time finding a 4 cyl 4x4 with even autos on it.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. OP
    92 ranger

92 ranger New Member

Where does it say 28 and 35?

5. Brinker88

It doesnt. You have to know what the axle looks like. For example, if a ranger had a 4.0 in it, it has a Dana 35 (heavier duty)...

Your best bet is to steal them off a bronco II if you dont know what you're looking for.

6. OP
    92 ranger

92 ranger New Member

Alright and can I just take the whole rotar along with the hub componets?

7. Brinker88

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.htm

Here's a good writeup to help you see what you need. You will need a special socket to get these Nuts off the spindle...or sometimes a screwdriver and hammer works.

You need :

1) Lock out hub
    1) Outer spindle nut
    1) Lock Washer (has a tab on it)
    1) Inner Spindle nut