Major problem on a 99 3.0 FFV Ranger, can't figure it out

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by mrqwerty, Nov 1, 2019.

1. mrqwerty

mrqwerty New Member

Randomly started losing power to the engine when it's cold, can't pull out of the driveway or move until the engine is truly hot. Never had this problem until it got cold. Still idles, but giving it gas makes it start shaking and it can't rev. Will randomly come back and drive like normal.
    Engine shot off P0153, replaced the bank 2 O2 sensor. No change to response, engine idles but doesn't really do much until heated up, then randomly stalls out like I said above. No more check engines after this.
    Rats chewed through a plug wire and that caused a big deal with the truck, replaced that. No change.
    Replaced stuck open thermostat, no change.
    Cleaned MAF, idle valve and EGR, runs great when it's warm out and took 30 minutes to be able to circle the parking lot at work this morning when it was 24 degrees, drove almost all the way home then lost engine power, idled and tried to kill itself while hitting gas and managed to coast uphill home.
    I have tested vac lines with starter fluid, no response at all. Took it to a shop that ignored that it was taking an hour to heat the engine, told me that the other 3 O2 sensors are slow (but no check engine). I am going to replace the temp sender next, anyone ever encountered this problem on this truck?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. basser1

basser1 New Member

I know this is an old post but kind of have the same issue with a 94 mazda b3000. did you figure out the issue. Was told it might be O2 sensors. Only 2 on my truck.
    If you get this I really appreciate response back. Thanks.

4. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Try pulling out bank 1 Sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1, this will make all kind of nasty noise. But if you can drive with the. 02 sensors off. I would look into clogged catalytic converters..