Leaking oil

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Hurley, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

So I have an oil leak from the back of my motor. I thought the oil pan didn't seal correctly when I put in the new motor. It turns out that isn't the problem. Im %90 sure its leaking from the bell housing. I'm also %100 percent sure its not the rear main seal. I just had the oil pressure switch changed because it was leaking from there too. Is there a plug or anything else that could leak from the back of the engine? My mechanic is going to drop the trans and run it like that to see where its leaking but I wanna figure it out before he has to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced. Oh yeah its a 99 ranger sport 3.0 5spd 4x4
    [​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. put some dye in the oil and steam clean all the old oil off motor and frameandeverywhere, then restart let it run and check for leaks with a black light will tell you every time where the leak is coming from.

4. OP
    Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

What sucks is its coming from in between the motor and trans so you wouldn't be able to see the source. My mechanic said he had read something about a "plug" of some sort on the back of the block? That is what he thinks it is.