Jus bought one!

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by e.andersen, Jan 30, 2012.

1. e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

So I bought a different truck (from that green one). Same model, 97 xlt regular cab 4cyl 5speed, black, 104,000mi. Nothing too special but it's a pretty decent first car and at $2250 I think I did pretty well.

Where are the best places to buy parts? I'm thinking junk yards if they have it, guys parting things out on craigslist, and that rockauto place if I need anything new.

I'm not trying to do much to it, but I might want to spruce it up a bit. Possibly some new brakes/rotors, if I do shocks I'm thinking kyb, maybe some taller tires (to fill out the wheel wells), I need a tailgate and a rear drivers' side tail light (the last guy got hit while his tailgate was down and I guess it cracked the plastic lens).

What are y'alls thoughts on good to very good upgrade parts for it? Anything in particular that should be checked/upgraded because it causes problems later down the road? Other thoughts about the truck?

[​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I have a tailgate for sale. Needs paint though. I'll post a pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Nice deal man. That thing has so much potential dude. Shop around ebay for alot o stuff to mod it with and definately hit the junkyards. Any questions on prices for parts make sure to throw a thread up. If we can find it cheaper for you...WE WILL get it!

5. OP
    e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

Sounds good fellas!

Red, how much is the tailgate and where would it be coming from?

What kind of upgrades are good/important? I'm not planning on taking a 2wd off-roading, but I know I'd like to get some taller tires to fill the space and give a better ride. What else do you do to a truck like this, and please forgive my ignorance?

6. I'm looking to get $50+shipping out of it, and if you want it painted just add the cost of paint to it. They can go for more when they're in perfect shape.

7. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

solid buy

8. OP
    e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

For what years are parts compatible? I know 93-97 is the same truck, but I saw the 98 upgraded grille/front end to the newer style and I'm wondering if that would work with a 97.
    Are beds the same for a lot of years? Cause I wouldn't mind dropping a step side on if I found one.
    Do bed-toppers fit all smooth side beds forever or do they vary by generation?

@Red: I appreciate it. I don't know yet if I'll buy it, I just got the truck saturday so I'm gonna get it registered and tagged first, then I'll probably search around here just to see if I can't get something that might have age-appropriate paint fading to mine. I'll hit you up if I need it, though.

9. No problem man. Let me know if you want it ever. I'll probably have it. But the junk yard by me has tons of Rangers so it shouldn't be too much of a problem finding another if I do sell it.

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

you can update to a 98+ front end but you would need to get a new core support fenders and nose.... and as far as the bed from 93+ bed will work and the bod lines will match up..... bed toppers as long as they are the same size as your bed will fit.... yeah topper companies changed "designs" over the years but as long as the measurements are the same they will fit....

11. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Truck looks awesome. You can always put in an ohc, stang dome light, bucket seats, newer gauge cluster, custom headliner, auto-dim mirror, aftermarket rims, Buggman painted emblems, different tails and upgraded sound system. There is a lot you can do to these trucks.

12. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Another 3rd gen! YES!!!!

13. OP
    e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

Any thoughts on brake upgrades: know a good rotor manufacturer for up front? And is it possible to grab rear discs from an explorer (if such an option existed) to put in the back?

14. OP
    e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

15. flaresidexlt

flaresidexlt officer meoff,jack

love the wheels

16. They will. Bolt pattern should be the same all around. You may just need wheel spacers if you want to run 12.50 tires.

17. OP
    e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

Okay, few more questions:

For what years are bed covers compatible? Is the bed of the 93-97 the same as the 98+?

Do 98+ tail lights and/or tailgates fit on a 97?

Where would I be able to look this stuff up, or is it just learned over the years?

[​IMG]

In this picture the truck (a 97 like mine) looks much taller, and overall more taught. I think it's from taller tires, fender flairs, thicker plastic on the front bumper, mud flaps, and the front valence lights but I can't put my finger on it; do y'all know why it looks so much more attractive? Is it a picture of a 4x4 that just sits taller? Is there a lift on it?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  18. The tonneau covers are only different when it comes to stepsides as far as I know. Just measure your bed before you buy one. Same with tailgates. They'll fit no prob unless off of a stepside. Taillights will fit, but you will have to mod them into the 3 bulb pattern that I know some years had, or just run without amber turn signals.