Is This A Safe Way To Lift My Truck?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by El Camino Man, Feb 15, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Hello guys! I look at your guys' lifted trucks and it makes me slightly depressed. Im a broke bastard! I work 3.5 hours a night for $8.50. Needless to say... I barely make enough to make a truck payment, let alone buy a lift kit :thumbdown:

I see that the body lift kits are basically pieces of plastic. I was wondering if I could make my own out of metal. Theyd last longer for sure but would it mess with the "bounce" of my truck? (would it be harder on my chassis).

And I also see a relatively simple way to do a suspension lift: blocks and t-bar crank. The blocks look like a piece of steel and new u-bolts. Iv got steel lying around here so I could make my own. Right? Is there anything special about the lift blocks you get off the internet? Are both of these safe ways to lift my truck? Thanks guys!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i wouldnt make my own body lift spacers...

4. ob269

ob269 New Member

I have heard of people making bl out of hockey pucks though..

5. OP
    El Camino Man

Yea I have too lol. But those are still plastic-ish (prolly polyurethane). What about metal?

6. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Use the polyuerethane hockey pucks. Dont go metal. Too much friction buildup and too heavy. I built my bro's jeep w/ hockey pucks. They dont crack or break and they're dirt cheap.

7. OP
    El Camino Man

Ill look em up on ebay lol

8. OP
    El Camino Man

Theres an auction on there now for 52 pucks for $12 w/ shipping lol. I think Ill go that route. But what about the blocks? Ill prolly end up double lifting it if I can

9. Brinker88

Get ahold of Rough country. The block kit with u-bolts is around $40.

10. OP
    El Camino Man

Wow thats cheaper than I figured itd be lol. And Id feel better about it

11. OP
    El Camino Man

They dont make anything for my generation

12. Brinker88

Yes they do. Call them up and ask them for a block kit for a 97 ford ranger. It's the same setup.

13. OP
    El Camino Man

Ahh gotcha. So the Rangers had the same rear suspension since day 1?

14. Brinker88

Pretty much as long as they have an 8.8 Only real difference is they switched to a different shackle in I believe 2009 for some odd reason

15. OP
    El Camino Man

I have a 2011. Will that affect me?

16. Brinker88

nope. Just make sure you get 3.25" wide u-bolts instead of the smaller u-bolts for the "older" rangers. You have the 31 spline axle whereas 90% of rangers have the 28 spline.

Ask rough country to give you u-bolts for an 80-96 4x4 F150 and blocks for a 3rd gen (93-97) ranger and you should be good to go bud.

17. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

edit ^ what he said

18. OP
    El Camino Man

Hey, you guys said I could do that hockey puck lift, so I searched around and didnt find any info on it. Do you guys know someone I can talk to thats done it before?

19. Brinker88

Me! Lol. Look up how many bushings are in a regular body lift, and multiply that by 3 (they're exactly an inch tall). Get bolts that are, wait for it... 3 inches longer than stock ones (grade 8) and install it.

20. OP
    El Camino Man

No way! Genious! Lol. What about steering extensions and such?

21. Brinker88

You shouldnt need steering extensions. My stock one fit.You should be good to go. Just remember you WILL need a filler neck extension. Just go to any hydraulic hose shop and they will cut it to length for you.