Is it necessary to change the exhaust plug and wires

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by OLD SILVER, Sep 7, 2013.

1. OLD SILVER

OLD SILVER New Member

Ya title says every thing thanks for any help

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

For performance ? No. For emissions? Yes. They burn fuel on the exhaust stroke . Helps keep cat and o2 sensors from fouling as soon. And its also good to change the wires cause after they crack and they will ark on things in the engine compartment causing more damage and electric gremlins. And its good to change the plugs cause in time electrodes wear and then they can break off and take out a piston and valve as they go through the engine.

In other words. Yes change them

Colin, E99 F250 7.3 6spd 4" turbo back straight pipe, Autometer boost and Pyro, 340,000 miles

Doug Smith likes this.
  4. OP
    OLD SILVER

OLD SILVER New Member

Thanks ZRanger28 for your answer

5. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

If your exhaust is rusted through or the muffler is swiss cheese, yes changing it is necessary. Exhaust wears out. It's general maintenance.

If your truck has more than 75,000 miles on it, changing spark plugs is necessary. Spark plugs wear out. It's general maintenance.

Spark plug wires tend to last a bit longer than the plugs, but if they're cracking and hard/brittle, yes change them. Plug wires wear out. I suggest doing them when you do your spark plugs, but some people may find that as an uneeded expense....and premature replacement.

When I first read the title, I thought about "exhaust plug" and "exhaust wires"...