Interesting occurrance

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by DeanMk, Jun 3, 2012.

1. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Sometimes, when coasting, or coming to a stop, I notice the engine speed does not come down until I come to a complete stop (ALWAYS as soon as the truck comes to a complete stop).
    The throttle doesn't appear to be sticking and this occurrance seems to be happening less frequently as time goes on (bought the truck at the end of march).
    I don't believe this is a normal condition.
    What would cause this?

Dean

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. maranger

maranger New Member

could have a sticky accelerater cable inside the cable housing

4. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Try cleaning your intake manifold as well as your idler air control valve

5. maranger

maranger New Member

also how long has it done this, it could be a safety feature so that if you foot slips off the clutch it dosent brake anything

6. pk5spd

pk5spd New Member

mine does something similar, when coming to a stop or just generally pushing in the clutch my rpms sometimes go up to 3.5k stick and then drop back down. it happened all last summer then quit in the winter and is doing the same thing this summer so it seems to happen when its warmer out. i've heard people mention the idle air control valve numerous times. could someone please explain to me what exactly that does and how i can clean it or what do i need to do? thanks

7. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

8. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

mcdonald58,

Nice job. You should write repair manuals for a living. ;)
    One question - Could I use a general electrical cleaner, in lieu of the TB and MAF cleaners?

Dean

9. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i read somewhere that you could. but i would just go down to the auto parts store and get crc throttle body cleaner. if you do both then it will be smoother.

10. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Sounds great.
    Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

Dean

11. pk5spd

pk5spd New Member

i've got a 99 4 cyl, thanks for the how to. probably gonna try that this weekend