IAC? MAF? Clutch? help me out

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by ThugDikk, Sep 21, 2020.

1. ThugDikk

ThugDikk New Member

98 ranger sport - shortcab, 5 speed manual

okay, got this issue goin on - most of the time she’s fine. Or at least she was for a while. Then she started getting wacker

noticed it first driving up a hill on a highway. Had to pull over about it. It’s like “lurch?” Losing acceleration, jolting back and forth - hear a very low rumbling noise in my engine bay. I don’t want to mislead, but the best way I know how to describe it is that it feels like my engine gets about two feet lower to the ground and works 40% as well

hit up my mechanic. He thinks it’s my clutch. I think he’s full of shit, and a “throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks” type of mechanic. went to an autozone. Met a hillbilly truck whisperer. He unplugged my IAC while she was running. Let it go for a second and plugged it back in.

No problems for at least a week, she ran like a champ

problems eventually arise. I start resetting IAC myself. It works for a while. Eventually stops working all together. Now I don’t drive Rangelica on the highway at all.

Important note: she has not thrown code this entire time.

My best guess is to replace IAC? Someone I work with was saying fuel injector cleaner would be a good place to start.

but literally any advice is welcome and then some. Thank you in advance

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Seem like fuel filter or fuel pump is about to go. I would just replace the filter first.

4. Charles Devore

Charles Devore New Member

humm, bad compressor starting to freeze up =fan belt noise,intermittent fuel pump possible but experience here is that the stops cold, have you considered a kink in fuel line?, undo the bed bolts and taillights ,find 3 other people and a case of beer for them ,place a large piece of cardboard between cab and bed, then lift the bed off and change pump, filter and closely look it over, also good time to change rear dif. fluid

5. ChiverNate

ChiverNate New Member

It seems like I’m having the same issue? What did this end up being. I don’t want to throw a new pump in if I don’t need to.

6. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

IAC => idler air control, this vale control the amount of air entering the intake and tell the computer how much fuel needed. Normally, you would have "high idle or low idle" if IAC is faulty. But it is sound like she is not getting enough fuel to the injectors. The reason I suggested fuel filter is the cheapest and should be replace anyway and you can test the fuel pressure while having the filter off. If no fuel shooting off the fuel line, then new fuel pump.