How To: Remove and paint door handle bezels

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Redneck_ranger, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright, I know this ain't gonna be ground breaking, but a few people have been asking around on how to remove and paint the door handle bezels. So here goes!

Step 1: Remove the two screws holding the door bezel on behind the rubbery handle.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Pull apart bezel by pulling out on the handle and slipping a screwdriver or hand up front to ease out the little clips.
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Remove the wiring harnesses. This can be a bit tricky if you haven't done it before. There are little clasps on the sides. What you have to do is squeeze the bottom of the gray part and pull away. This can require a screwdriver to pry it out, but BE GENTLE!!!! *****Note: This is ONLY on the power options. If you have manual windows, mirrors, and door locks this does NOT pertain to you, and you may continue on with the process. Skip this and step 4.
    [​IMG]
    ***Note: There are two screws on the master window buttons. Unscrew these, and the buttons will fall out of the bezel, but leave the little frame.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Squeeze metal tabs in towards the buttons (or window button frame in this case) and remove the buttons/frame.
    [​IMG]

Step 5: The rubber door handle will have two screws, one at each end. Unscrew these, and gently pull back on the handle, towards the thin side of the bezel. This is caused by two little nubs on the handle to keep it from spinning around on the screws.
    [​IMG]

Congratulations. You have now completely taken off your door handle bezel!
    [​IMG]

A little note, I suggest you use primer, at least two coats, before you go ahead and paint it with the color paint you are using. I used a "Ruddy Brown" on my truck by Krylon, and that made the color pop nicely. I then used Duplicolor Perfect Match paint from the auto parts store, to match my exterior. I put two or three coats on of that, let it dry, then put two coats of clear coat on. GO LIGHTLY ON THE COLOR MATCH PAINT. If you put it on too heavy, it will not only run, but it will have little circular holes where the paint acted like wax was in it. Here's my trio....
    [​IMG]

This is in it's primer stage:
    [​IMG]

This is what it came out like when finished:
    [​IMG]

GOOD LUCK! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.