How To: Oil change for 01+ 4.0 SOHC - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by Redneck_ranger, May 5, 2012.

1. This How To is for the 01+ Rangers that have the 4.0 SOHC engine. **NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE OHV USED IN THE 00-**

For this procedure, you will need:

12mm socket or open ended wrench
    Some sort of container such as a 2 gallon bucket
    Funnel
    Oil filter wrench
    Flat head screwdriver (Not required)
    Hammer (Not required)
    5 quarts 5W-30 oil
    New oil filter
    Rags

First, take your bucket and place it underneath your oil pan, and position it to accomodate the oil pouring out of the drain. Remember, it comes out towards the side of the truck. Not straight down.

Next, take your 12mm socket/wrench, and loosen your bolt. Then you can use your fingers to loosen it all the way to prevent the bolt from falling into the container. A little oil on your fingers saves you from having a hand covered in it when reaching in to find it.

[​IMG]

Looking from the front passenger side of the truck:
    [​IMG]

Next, let your oil drain out until single drops about a second apart are seen. After that, put your drain bolt back in and tighten it until it's snug. **DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN** You may strip out the pan if you do, which is a BAD THING!

Next, locate your oil filter. It is in between the oil pan and the passenger side frame. Here's where the real fun begins! The engineers of Ford decided to leave you a quarter inch gap on each side, making your working room basically nonexistent. I suggest, but its not necessary, getting a filter with a nut on the end so you can put a socket/rachet on it such as a K&N filter. Yes, slightly more expensive. But so much less trouble!
    [​IMG]

FYI! It will drain onto your control arm mount, so keep some rags ready for when you're done.

[​IMG]

After that's done draining, (Again, this is not necessary, it's just how I do it) use the screwdriver/hammer to punch a hole in the side of the filter so you can turn it and loosen it. To loosen it, turn the filter clockwise.

After that's all done, open your container of new oil, stick your finger in (make sure it's clean) and rub it on the rubber gasket of the new filter. Put the new filter on and once the gasket touches the housing for the filter, turn it one full turn, or until tight. But no more than one full turn AT MOST! After the new filter is on, take your cap off of your oil fill opening under the hood, and put in the new oil. I recommend using a funnel so you don't spill it on the engine. It has a tendency to catch on fire if the engine is hot, or smoke badly once it gets heated... Not fun. Put your filler cap back on, and congratulations! You have successfully changed your oil!

A little side note, make sure to check your oil weekly on FLAT GROUND!!!!!! Or else this happens, and it is extremely bad for your engine.

[​IMG]

5 quarts went in, 2.5 quarts came out. Good luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

:thumbsup:

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Thanks buddy. :) I had a fit over the damn filter. I love how they crammed it into there. lol

5. Only problem I have had once in a vehicle is if you punch a hole in the filter and you still can't unscrew it, you are screwed! always try to unscrew it by hand or a rubber strap wrench would be my suggestion.

6. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

if you need to punch a hole in the filter to get it off you put it on way way too tight

7. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I don't punch the hole in it to get it off. I do it so I don't dump it all over the frame/engine. Then because it had oil all over it (which you can see in the pictures) from the gasket leaking, I had to put a screwdriver into it because I couldn't get a grip on it. Hence why I suggested getting a filter such as a K&N that has a nut on the end of it.

8. djfllmn

it doesnt dump all over the frame if you just crack it loose without punching a hole in it...just have to unscrew it little by little

9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Yeah, well first time I did it on this truck it exploded out of the filter.

10. djfllmn

probably because the filter had a blockage somewhere

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

It was a cheap one, so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll never buy Motorcraft ones again though... Damn seal didn't keep at all.

12. djfllmn

thats all i use on my truck...motorcraft or purolator(same thing)

13. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Fram tough guard. Gonna upgrade to K&N next oil change.

14. djfllmn

fram is the WORST filter you can put on your engine...they break down and ruin the oil passages in the motor...ive seen it happen

15. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Never had a problem on my truck with em. Or for that matter any vehicle.

16. djfllmn

dude frams are junk...they have cardboard in there that breaks down and makes its way into the motor

17. even the walmart super techs are better than fram, the super techs have the anti back flow valve and the inside is spot welded not glued on ends

18. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

K&N WINNING

[​IMG]

Sidenote: I never tighten 'em up so much that I have to take sockets to it, I just choose to use the ratchet and extensions. It's so awesome and such a breeze. You pay for it though....them filters have increased about 80% in price over the past 5 years.

Sidenote #2: oil: Mobile 1 or Royal Purple FTW

This.

I thought the drain plugs took a 13mm?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  19. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Mine was a 12 mm. 13 was too big and started to round the bolt a little.

20. djfllmn

drain plug on mine is 13MM...same with my dads fusion

21. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

12mm fit the best on mine. Must be a replacement then.