How To: Convert H3 Bulb Offroad Lights To HID

Discussion in 'How-To' started by 2004xlmiller, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004xlmiller

2004xlmiller Member

How To: Convert H3 Bulb Off Road Lights To H.I.D.
    Tools/Supplies Needed-
    Screwdriver
    Wire cutters/crimpers
    Dremel
    Wire Connectors
    A set of HIDs
    A set of Hella’s or KCs, most anything, I used cheap Harbor Freight 100W lights for this.
    Step 1:
    Open up your lights and take out the bulb, note the size of the bottom, you’ll cut the bottom of the HID bulbs to mimic these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    Take your HID bulb and cut the surround till its round and about the size of the H3 bulb you took out.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Step 3: Dremel around where you cut to make it smooth and even, your goal is to get it as close to looking like the H3 bulb.
    Step 4: test the bulb to make sure it fits in the light socket. Then secure it, my light had a small metal clip thingy, which I needed to fit by dremeling the sides of the HID bulb a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Step 5: Dremel inside and around the 2 wires from the bulb to get them to bend over and fold in, this will help squeeze the back of the bulb into the housing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Step 6: Cut the wires from the bulb, run them inside the seal into the light housing, reconnect with wire connectors. Should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Stripped:
    [​IMG]
    Connectors:
    [​IMG]
    Hooked back up:
    [​IMG]
    Step 7: Once this is all done, put everything back together, plug in the ballasts and connect the wiring for the bulbs and test to make sure all connections are good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don’t use harbor freight lights as they have a diffusion glass lense for the halogen bulbs and it doesn’t work with the HID light output, use hellas or some clear lense procomp lights or KCs. Have fun.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Justincredible

Justincredible BLACKOUT

nice write up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.