How To: Blinker Mod - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by fomoco, Feb 6, 2011.

1. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

i found this off another site, i will get pics up tomorrow in the day light

How-To: Make the useless side-marker light function as a turn-signal

This How-To is for a gen 6, however this can be performed on any Ranger using the Daniel Stern Lighting Tech guide:

Tools Needed:
    7/32 socket, and rachet
    Wire cutter/stripper
    Soldering Iron and Solder, or a 4 crimp on wire-taps
    Electrical Tape and/or shrink wrap

• Step One:
    Remove your Turn Signal by pulling up on the 2 tabs holding the headlamps in, and then remove the 2 7/32 bolts holding the corners in

[​IMG]

Step Two:
    (You may have to cut back the wire loom to expose enough of the wires from both of the following bulbs.)
    Cut the wires for your side marker light about 4-6 inches from the light-bulb housing. (a black and a brown wire) Wrap the ends that normally supply this bulb electricity with electrical tape and tuck them behind the header panel, making sure no wire is exposed to cause a short.

Cut the black wire on the corner light, and run a wire from the black wire on the corner to the the white/blue wire(passenger side) green/white(drivers side) wires

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Put the turn signal back on and you now have a functioning side-marker light!

With this modification, you will have the following results:

Headlights/Parking lights ON - turn signal flashes alternately with side marker light.

Headlights/Parking lights OFF - Turn signal and side marker flash together.

here is a demonstration from my 2001 ford ranger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyXHc2rUOAU

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I'll leave it open for the pics, Thanks dude!

4. OP
    fomoco

fomoco Moderator

no prob, i went to look for it, and pics were gone, so i will take pics of how mine was done, it is the same as whats in the thread

i hope it was alright that i mentioned another member from another site in here, i'm just trying to give credit for the person that did the grunt work of putting it together

5. Stephen.G.Fiddes

Stephen.G.Fiddes T-Bar Guru

Just don't move the damn things when you get it finalized!

Also, Clinton Aren't the submission threads supposed to be open for discussion, then once they're finalized, moved into the how-to section, Links changed to forum server, and locked?

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

They can be duplicated and one can be left for discussion and one for the actual "How to"