How many miles are too many miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buggman, Sep 22, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

If you were buying a vehicle today, how many miles would scare you off from a deal regardless of the year of the vehicle?

75,000?
    100,000?
    125,000?
    More???

For me, I'd like to stay below 75,000

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

it depends on how well it was treated and the maintenance on it

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i bought my truck about 5 yrs ago with 146k on the clock.... but the proce was right and she has been really good to me... the only major thing i have had to do to her was within the past couple of months when i had to replace all the bearings in the the rearend.... other than that its been normal wear and tear.....

5. OP
    buggman

True,
    I saw an 04 Expo today with 104k that looked like it was only a year old.
    I've seen 2 year old trucks look like they were rentals where people beat the dog snot out of them too.

6. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

it depends on the motor. 5.3 chevies, 4.0 fords, or anything really i don't get turned off by miles. flipped a few 180k+ gas trucks with zero problems, looking for a new personal truck and wouldn't hesitate to buy a 100k+ mile truck

7. 190k would do it as I have bought many vehicles over 150k that run great and no smoke just look for the signs of abuse before buying

8. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

75K for a DD granted my tbird has 96K but you dont let miles keep you from buying a car like that

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Under 100K would be best but all depends on the truck itself.

10. edgeman4.0

edgeman4.0 2nd amendment activist

I bought my civic with 180k on the clock. The price was more than right, it was unmolested, female driven, 0 wrecks and a stack of maintenance paperwork. I'm now on the edge of 200k and the only thing I've had to put on the car was tires and a valve cover gasket and when I had the cover off the valve train was ridiculously clean.

I used to be one of those "if its over 100k, throw it away" people, but cars are made to last longer nowadays.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk 2

11. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

When looking for a new vehicle I instantly look for the lowest miles. My budget is 75k on mileage. I tend to try andstick below 30k for a DD, but truck wise and play toys IDC but for a daily driver as a car i stick to under50k

12. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i would say 150k miles unless its really nice and is what your looking for.

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

For me, anything over 140k will kill it for me unless I know how to work on it.

14. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

Since I suck under the hood I look for anything with less then 75,000 miles so i can atleast get a few trouble years out of it before I have to any really jobs on it.

15. OP
    buggman

Things sure aren't the same as when I bought my truck... it had about 45k on it in '98 and just turned over 61k.

Back in those days it was easy to find a ton of good used vehicles with less than 50k, but everything on every lot within a 25 mile radius has at least 100k now :(

I blame "cash for clunkers" for destroying the used car market for the last 10 years.
    (end rant)

16. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

One thing that I have noticed where I live is that more people travel long distances for work so now its common to see 5 year old vehicles with over 75,000 miles that sell for he same price as the vehicle with 60,000 miles from over 5 years ago.

For example a say a 2004 Ford F150 5.4L supercrew 4x4 with 60,000 miles will sell for $21,000 back in say 2009

Now a 2007 F150 with the same options but 75,000 miles will sell for the same price in 2012

17. glennk

glennk New Member

this might shock most of you but the truck i just got has 245k miles on it and still running strong, mind you it is only a 98'. but to mean miles mean nothing i have seen cars and trucks have less then 50k on them and things start to go it all depends on the condition of it. u just always gota look them over well dont be scared by miles like at what there really are and then test drive them and give it a good test not just up the street and back, check every function it has if it all works and it all looks good and clean then its probly worth it and if u see something that does scare u most of the time u can work a deal to get things fixed before u buy it or maby have the price knocked down as i did with my truck.

18. 02RGRSP

02RGRSP New Member

I have an 02 4.0ltr 4x4 that I bought with 38,000.00 miles on it, it now is at 216,000.00 miles. I have never had anything on the engine apart, I can hear the lifters a little ( I think they are leaking down) on cold start up and maybe the timing chain tensioner but it runs fine. I have heard the heads are the week link on the 4.0. I have also heard the 3.0 will go for ever, who knows.

How far will these engines go ?? 3.0 & 4.0 anyone know ?

Mine is also a standard trans, I replaced the clutch once. It is starting to feel like the slave cylinder needs to be blead as it drags a bit, won't always shift stopped & running.
    Auto's don't seem to go much over 100,000.00 miles before needing a rebuild but I guess that depends on what use they have had.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  19. glennk

glennk New Member

my truck

also i forgot to mention my truck is a auto and still has the factory motor and trans in even after 246k miles and before i got it it was used as a deliever vehical for a news paper company so it had lots of startin and stopping in them miles. but still runs great.