horn suggestions?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rango88, Nov 20, 2012.

1. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

Since I just installed my 3rd crago brake light from buggman, I am on to perhaps another inexpensive mod. My fiance ridicules me on my puny horn so I was wondering what would be a good louder horn from a common automobile that might be in my local Junk Yard. I'm looking for direct bolt in. Thanks.

Please note I have no interest in train horns.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

i put a horn out of a 07 mustang in my 06, direct plug in

4. 03crewcab

03crewcab Real Trucks Rattle

I'm not sure it is a direct bolt, but you could use one from a Super Duty, or a Mountaineer.

The AutoZone horns fail after a while. Dirt or water comes in and they start to sound weird.

5. OP
    rango88

Fomoco is it louder?

6. OP
    rango88

Thanks for the tip on the autozone horns

7. OP
    rango88

I was doing research and a lot of people say the old mercedes horns are the loudest but they need 12 Volts. Any input on these?

8. fomoco

fomoco Moderator

a little bit louder, and actually sounds like it has some balls instead of the single tone horn

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

No interest in train horns?! Wtf??? Lol try an F series pickup horn I sent one to Buggman and I think he installed it

10. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

yes the F150 horn is a lot louder than a Ranger :D

11. 03walkalot

03walkalot New Member

Horn

This subject is of interest to me too! Is the F150 a direct hook up?

12. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Since we are talking about this I need a horn period for my F150 can anyone point me in the direction where it is on the truck what it looks like.

13. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Not an OEM Horn but have you looked at the Hella offering.
    They sell a set of two horn that are LOUD !

Just a thought.

A little pricey but maybe the woman will buy them for you for X-mas.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/hel...one horn kit&gclid=CKOGkZWZ4LMCFcRa4Aodg1kArQ

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003399803-Supertone-High-Tone/dp/B0030YWM0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353505660&sr=8-1&keywords=hella+supertone+horns[/ame]

14. OP
    rango88

would rather stay away from train horns since my budget is small, I want it too look stock (no canisters or anything) and dont want anything ridiculously loud, just something louder.... Any more suggestions?

15. djfllmn

heres just a quick lock button horn chirp on my F150....didnt want to set off the panic alarm...but i think you get the point

[​IMG]

16. OP
    rango88

Dj is there any way to know if the F150 horns just bolt in?

17. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

The horn Hooligan sent me a while back is a bit louder than the stock horn... right now I have the stock horn with 2 additional horns, one hi one low tone. They're louder than it was originally, but I still want louder.

My dad had a 90 something model olds many years ago & the horn sounded like a train horn, it was the loudest horn on a car I've ever heard.

For wiring, I ran a relay off the stock horn wiring to power the new horns so I don't ask too much from the stock wiring. No biggie though.

Most horns will only have one wire for power & ground through the chassis of the horn itself. I'd guess as long as it's a 12v horn, you should be good.
    Remember, ANYTHING will fit with enough modding :D

18. djfllmn

i dont know....i cant imagine a reason why it wouldnt...may have to just tweak the bracket a little bit

19. OP
    rango88

thanks for the tips. I may look into an old Mercedes horn and see if that works. If not maybe an f150 or mustang horn.