Here It Is Again: Max Tire Size

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by El Camino Man, Apr 2, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Hey guys! Think youve answered this question too many times already? Well here it is again!!!

I am researching tires for my Ranger like I can afford em (part time sucks). I decided I wanna keep my stockers for now til later on down the road when I can throw some big bucks into my Ranger. But for now, I think my Ranger is too quiet!!! There is zero road noise! I hate it! I either need some whinin tires, turbo whistle, screechin supercharger, or cackling exhaust. I plan on doin the first and last. Iv found many tires that I like but most mud terrains dont come in pizza cutter sizes. I wanna know what the max tire width I can run on my stock 16x7s. Iv read on a Jeep forum when browsing the web that you can go as wide as a 12.50. Thats nuts! They say its actually better because you can air down the tire without it popping off the rim, you just dont wanna over-inflate it.

And lastly, the most common question ever! Whats the max size tire I can run, period, on my Ranger? I was told (I think) you can do a 33x12.50 with some positive backspacing. I actually like the tire sticking past the fender look so that doesnt bother me much. Sorry for rambling. Thanks guys!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 265/75/16 without a lift
    285/75/16 will fit too crank the t bars

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  4. Muscleford

Muscleford Drives "the Fridge"

Based on what I have read a 255/70 is the widest that will fit a 7" wide rim correctly. I may be wrong and hope I am cause I really want to upsize to 265/70 when i get tires.

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I've ran 33 1250s on 7" wide wheels before...never ran into any problem but...It's not really a good Idea.

As for lift, crank those torsion bars and grab a set of the "el cheapo" advance auto parts belltech 6400s for $40.00...You will be able to fit those 33's just fine.

I would personally buy a set of Cragar Soft 8's with 3.75" backspacing.

6. With a torsion bar crank about 32" if you don't want to rub. That's all I'd plan on doing. Or, in metric.... 285/70/16s

7. OP
    El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

My biggest thing with cranking the t-bars is in gonna have to get it realigned... which is between $60-$90 around here... Thats a lot for someone like me!