Help Please! Problem with the fuel Pump

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by Justincredible, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Justincredible

Justincredible BLACKOUT

so when i try and turn over my starter it cranks for a while and takes a long time to start, if the truck has been running a while and i turn it off to run in the store or something, it starts fine if i get back in it. So im just trying to make sure if it is the fuel pump before i replace it. If you need more info let me know. Thank you.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Have you checked the relay for it?

4. OP
    Justincredible

Justincredible BLACKOUT

have not where is it? im horrible with electrical

5. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

sounds like my problem. usually if you cycle the key to the 'on' position 3-4 times without actually cranking the engine (so the fuel pump kicks on to prime the system) it'll start up first time you crank it.

on mine, the little one way valve that keeps pressure in the line when you prime the pump went bad, hence needing to prime multiple times. new pump fixed it.

6. OP
    Justincredible

Justincredible BLACKOUT

this is exactly what i do lol sweet so new pump it is

7. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

if your in the rust belt, the sending unit is probley rusty and will snap when you try to take the lines off like mine did. so plan for new lines and ends and a new sending unit

edit: i see your in cali. no rust worry lol well in any case ill leave this post up incase some1 does a search just so the info is here