fuel system problems

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by michael barnum, Apr 22, 2020.

1. michael barnum

michael barnum New Member

I had recently bought a 1989 ranger, super cab, 2.9 liter v6. I bought it dirt cheap but it has been sitting out for 15 years, to do some basic maintenance checking before I started it I took the tank out, replaced the fuel pump, filter, and battery but when I went to start the engine, it did nothing but crank . so I had someone put starter fluid in the intake and it did start but by the time they took it off it died. I've done multiple tests, tested the fuel pump (works perfect), replaced the fuel pump relay ( which I didn't need to do), but when I went to test the actual voltage connection to the fuel pump it read nothing but 7 volts. I am completely stumped how would after replacing the fuel pump relay still show 7 volt, which doesn't make the brand new fuel pump work. after doing research google says that it could be a corroding wire. I am completely stumped and even the mechanic in my family is stumped. thank you